Dicsus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone on here know anything about discus fish?

I'm really interested in them and want to start raising some.

Oh a bunch. I've tried researching but I've gotten mixed answers.

Let's start out hear.

Do you breed them?

Just that they are beautiful. I had a pair that wasn't any trouble at all but when I bought them they were about the diameter of a soft ball. I got the pair for like 35.00. I don't know if they are all as easy as mine were or maybe there age had something to do with it. Good luck though I think there the most beautiful of all fresh water fish!

How many would you recommend getting?

And what size tank?

Well, it all depends on what kind of tank you want. If you want just a discus tank or if you want other fish as well, and also I would recommend a planted tank with some floating plants because they like to be under them. But say you had a 75 gallon for discus only, you could do with maybe 6 or more. I'm sure someone will disagree and say that's too many but I have that many in my 55 community tank. I just have to clean it all the time.

I only want discus. I've never had a planted tank before so that might need some advice for me too.

What substrate did you use for your discus tanks? Like anything special because of the plants?

What about filtration. Sump? Refugium?

I didn't start out wanting a planted tank so no, I just have gravel but I put root tabs in. Also for filtration I just use fluval canister filters.

planted tanks for discus are always much preferred, but its not essiantial. But there are easy plants that a beginner can do. for example
Amazon swords - these plants are very easy, all you need is some decent lighting and root tablets and they are set. Also you can get different varietys so some can become you backdrop plant and the rest scattered around the aquarium.
Java Fern - this plant is super easy. simply attach to driftwood or rock and your set. They get their nutriets from their big leaves that suck in stuff from the water. So every now and then a dose of flourish excel will keep them looking their happiest!
Anubias - Another attachment plant. This one uses roots for its nutrients so a root tab underneath it will make it happy as larry. Make sure you do attach it to something because it's rhizome will rot otherwise.
Thin val - a long slender plant that it awesome for making a jungle effect. simply plant and it will thrive in low light! soon you will have it growing on top of the water and it just looks magical! there are also varieties known as jungle val, corkscrew val and so on

These are just a few of easy low light plants that discus would love to have in their tank!

No you don't have to but it looks good lol. But if you don't put real plants in, put fake ones on where they can hide on occaision if they're stressed. They like it.

Okay thank you guys so much. I'll have to look into plants then.

Wife and I have just started keeping Discus as of the end of February 2012. I did a lot of research before beginning to add to our 75 and as well, have been liquidating our over stocked tank of the originals we started with. Thanks to paytertot for all the plant info!! We had some live, and not being educated enough about them, removed them 1, because of a Diiscus issue and 2, some kind of algae infestation. We will be removing a few more fish this weekend and picking up a 265 g that won't get set up till after we move.

Back
Top Bottom