Diet of German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
German Blue Rams Pics

I just picked up two GBRs one male and one female I think. What I would like to know is what types of foods they eat. Secondly what are the ways to tell the sex of these fish. Thanks!

Post pics and I'll tell you the sexes.
Nice ram females will have a pink belly all the time, will be smaller than males when fully grown, will have shorter dorsal rays, and will have pelvic fins that don't extend past the start of the anal fin. So, obviously males will be larger, will have longer dorsal rays, and will have pelvic fins that extend past the start of the anal fins. If they are Asian bred they are more difficult to sex since they are treated with coloring and growth hormones and generally don't last long.

As far as diet, vary it as much as you can. I feed mine NLS Cichlid Formula 1mm sinking pellets, OSI Flake, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and occasionally some other foods.

GBRs

GBRs

Attachments

• P1170013.jpg
    P1170013.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 65
  • P1170033.jpg
    P1170033.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P1170034.jpg
    P1170034.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 66
  • P1170037.jpg
    P1170037.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 62
Yup, I can tell the fish apart just by the three obvious black spots the dominant male has. I'm not counting the black stripes as spots.

okay thanks I was afraid of that but.... its a 46 bowfront so they can both have their own territory.

They'd probably be okay. I'm sure there will be some chasing involved. Maybe look for two females or trade the male that you thought was a female in for a female. The other male is much nicer IMO.

Yea I might just take it back to the LFS and then look online for a female .. I know they wont be paired but neither are the ones I have now... I hope not at least..haha thanks man.

No problem. If you are looking for some nice quality rams I'll have some for sale in about 3-4 weeks. They are a similar strain that your male is and they are 50% wild blood. If you find a good female though I wouldn't pass her up.

Second thought I might just get two females online... I have the room and think they are an awesome fish. Thank you for the information!

Where are some good places with quality rams for sale. If you can package them and if its true that 50% wild blood.. I would like one of your females!!!

Here's one of my favorite pics of some rams I had in the past. It's not the best but it shows the nice size, shape, and colors of the line.
img_944430_0_f622a140fb41baeaaec993ceb5a75b2b.jpg

That's two males in the picture. The ones I'll have for sale will be ones from this bloodline crossed with F0's (wild blood), so they are 50% wild. I also have a bunch of wigglers from the 50% wild blood that I'm working on now. I have wigglers in a jar and also about 250-300+ eggs that should be hatching out sometime tonight or early tomorrow morning. The 50% wild blood rams that I'll have for sale will be spawning shortly, probably within the next month or so. I see one or two that are ready to lay now.

As for pricing, I've told one member on here the prices for pairs of rams at different stages, i.e. sexed pairs, mated pairs, confirmed pairs, proven pairs and the pricing goes up accordingly. I'm not sure how much the rams will be if not sold in pairs, I'm guessing $7-8 each. I'll have to see how much cost I have into them before selling them.

Back
Top Bottom