Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Dimidiochromis compressiceps a.k.a. Malawi eyebiter

Anyone have any experience with these? I "accidently" picked one up a few months back when I was stocking my Tanganyikan tank and noobishly confused it with an Altolamprologus compressicep. I saw the compressicep part and thought I was good to go. Boy was I wrong!

This guy is a freakin' monster! He doesn't bother my front, calvus, and leleupi, however I do blame him for my recent Nkambe disappearance. What a true predator this thing is.....I tossed in a few neons to see what would happen and before I could close the lid, they were both down the hatch with lightening speed. I'm assuming I'll have to give him up fairly soon, but he's kind of growing on me......

Old 08-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have experience with that fish, but any fish that is a "freakin' monster" needs its own tank with suitable tank mates, if possible, or a life of solitary confinement. Do what's best for the overall health of the tank. Even monsters can become favorite fish, you just need to use caution and perhaps a bit of research to help you decide where this fish needs to live.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

umm, you can also bid goodbye to the leleupis (and depending on the size of your calvus, them too). the fronts might be ok.
he's neat though.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi mate,

I have 7.
1 Male and female have just matured and finally spawned successfully. Unfortunatly her inexperience has let her swallow for the 4th time now. Right in front of me to the cheeky cow. Believe it or not these two are only around 12-14cm and the male barely has a slight blue tinge to his scales. They are only about a year old

They certainly try to show no fear when spawning and had all the rest of my fish bailed up into one corner while they had about 5ft to themselves....Until an Acei decided he didn't like it and basically showed the comp where to go..Next thing I know the eyebiter was running like a little sook.

I keep them, and know alot of people who keep them, with mbuna and generally mixed malawi tanks. We try not to feed live food so they don't show the predatory behaviour, but one can't help but lose a few fry here and there.

Another friend of mine keeps the Albino varient in with calvus, alto comps, and others and has no problems at all.

They love to hide in a nice lush bed of vallis, but still enjoy wide open spaces.

Quote:
umm, you can also bid goodbye to the leleupis (and depending on the size of your calvus, them too).
I have to slightly disagree with that comment. The breeder I got mine from keeps them at 20-25cm in a 8x2.5x2 with around 120 smaller malawi's..eg. maingano, demasoni, yellow labs, acei, assorted(no not fish shop "assorted") peacocks. multi cats, hmm i'll have to look up his old post to get a list.

I guess it all depends how much time you have to keep an eye on it.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

heres a good general profile on them if you haven't seen them already

http://www.riftcichlidforum.com/foru...pic.php?t=1387

Ron on riftcichlid absolutly loves them, might pay to ask there.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

its hard to predict the behavior of a predator. even if it seems nice and well-behaved one day, there's no telling what it'll dish out tomorrow. caged in a 50g with a potential killer, i wouldn't even like to be the front, let alone be the leleupi. i'm sorry, but that's just my view. might still work out well for everyone in the tank ...

Tags
dim, malawi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com