Disappearing act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I need suggestions on why my favorite two juvenile 2in peacocks disappeared. Never, never have I had aggression in my tank. Then a week ago, my red blotch zebra 2in was dead and mutilated. I have found no bodies of the two peacocks. It's a 55, with plenty of rocks and the fake searock cave thing.
3 yellow labs, two male, one female
1 large bumblebee, male
1 salvini female
1 jacobrofreigi peacock, spelling is wrong, male
1 some sort of demasoni I'm assuming
3 female peacocks
1 Pleco
1 action blue 2in
I forgot to mention, the acei had its tail biten off. This was before e disappearance of the two peacocks and multination of the zebra.

*none of these fish were recently added. The rocks were arranged one weekbefore the incident.

Demosonis are an aggressive species. Check the rock work to see if they are hiding or check the parameters. I heard a story of a chinese algae eater killing and pulling large fish into its hideout at night. That may be the case with your pleco.

Hi,
I need suggestions on why my favorite two juvenile 2in peacocks disappeared. Never, never have I had aggression in my tank. Then a week ago, my red blotch zebra 2in was dead and mutilated. I have found no bodies of the two peacocks. It's a 55, with plenty of rocks and the fake searock cave thing.
3 yellow labs, two male, one female
1 large bumblebee, male
1 salvini female
1 jacobrofreigi peacock, spelling is wrong, male
1 some sort of demasoni I'm assuming
3 female peacocks
1 Pleco
1 action blue 2in
I forgot to mention, the acei had its tail biten off. This was before e disappearance of the two peacocks and multination of the zebra.

Your stock list is all over the place. The bumblebee is to large for all the others. Demansoni require large schools. Mbuna in general are to boisterous for peacocks. The bumblebees are mean suckers and of he's big enough he's probably picking everything off in the tank.

*none of these fish were recently added. The rocks were arranged one weekbefore the incident.

The new aqua scape caused new territories to be taken and this is never good with adult cichlids. Not to mention most mbuna are much less aggresive when put in a ration of at least 1m:3f. There's always exceptions this is just a guideline

My money was on either the demasoni, bumblebee, or the salvini (who I think it is). Salvinis are quite aggressive new world cichlids, not suited for life with fish from Malawi. Sometimes they are fine, but they can be nasty and sometimes don't become so till maturity. Either way you have three perfectly capable culprits.

Ok,
To narrow it down, the salvini is a big baby that is shy. Everyone thinks she's aggressive, but its like a bug pit bull that rolls over. The bumblebee is so big, he doesn't mind anything since he can fit into rocky portion of the tank. Here's a pic of the "demasoni", I've had a demasoni before but I put it in quotations since he doesn't look like one. It's almost if his color is faded, thanks in part to petsmart. I think he's the best option. I really want to look for them, but hate to change the rockscape and upset them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 45
Not sure what it is but that's no demasoni, a hybrid at best...the top fin should be black with a white top, not blue with a black top, and obviously the lack of stripes is another give away

That's what got me. No vertical stripes on the body. I tried to use the term demasoni loosely, because I thought it was some sort of a maybe Mbuna hybrid?

That's what got me. No vertical stripes on the body. I tried to use the term demasoni loosely, because I thought it was some sort of a maybe Mbuna hybrid?

Yeah it looks like a pseudotropheus but certaintly not a demansoni. You should think about moving that crabro also a 55 is much to small with all those other fish. I know you can keep a pair in a 55 but not a whole bunch of fish with it.

It may also be a labidochromis caeruleus. Not the electric yellow variant from Lions cove but the more abundant wild type.and by more abundant I mean in the actual lake not in the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom