Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your welcome Mack. If there are no other fish in the tank there is no need to QT. Yes, leave the carbon out forever. Your fish will grow better. You can increase the bio filtration with a sponge filter. They are cheap about $9 US.

Hey, take some pics. I'd love to see the new objects of your affection :)

Sure I will Brian(As soon as I get my camera),
Just one last thing.Is it ok to add one discus each week?
How is the ammonia in your 125?

Cool, hey I visited a discus hatchery last night. You just couldn't believe all those spectacular Fish. Check out his pics on www.aquabid.com FCDiscus is the breeder. And, I bought 2 Almost full grown Red Turqs. I'll take some pics when I introduce them in a week or two.

Ummm. The fish (and you in the long run), will be much better off if they are put in at the same time. If it's a matter of cost, try working something out with the lfs.

FYI Mack. Quality Discus = Shape should be as round as possible. Don't buy any football shaped fish. Height should be taller rather then longer. Pay special attention to the eyes. Large eyes in relation to the body means the fish was or will be stunted. Don't get any fish which is darker than the rest. I'd rather see you start with "thick" fish rather than just the biggest in his stock. And. . . . You want to see the fish eat, not just pick at food in the shop.

Good luck, and good discus keeping.

Brian

I would just like to say that i had neons in the tank with my discus and they did fine at a temp of 85......also i have read alot about angelfish not mixing with discus and have found this to be totally untrue my discus always got along great with angels as well as in every discus tank i have ever seen in person..

Actually there are quite a few species that make good tankmates for discus, and there are exceptions to every rule.

The two reasons I wouldn't include angels on that list.
1. Angels are carriers of a particular parasite (I'll do some research and find out which), which which have no ill effect on them, but can be deadly to discus.
2. When growing out discus, they require a lot of food. Angels easily out compete discus for food. Adult discus might be another story as mine are becoming voracious eaters.

Better tank mates would be rams, corys, clown loaches, and many people who keep discus show tanks keep cardinals.

I thoroughly agree with Brian's suggestions (what do I know, though! He's the Discus expert).

But you're right, Possum, that Neons can survive at high temps. They prefer quite cold water--72-75--but survive in much warmer. I've had them at 82 to get rid of ick with no deaths. They are amazingly resistent to higher temps and diff pH if they're gradually acclimated or have been raised in that temp/pH. It's the quick changes, dirty water, and moving from place to place which really get them...

Oh, and *Brian* I've been doing the same thing--checking out local breeders on Aquabid and contacting them about seeing their specimens personally. I think I'll visit a pleco breeder some time in the next few weeks who lives near Watchung in NJ. I'm psyched! Does the discus breeder breed other types of fish, or only discus?

Thanks Madas....I'm really no expert. Just trying to pass on what I've learned through experience. And talking to lots of discus people.

This guy I went to see breeds only discus. He must have 25 breeding pairs. What a sight!!! :D

Ah... sigh. Discus really do have incredible coloration/patterning!!

Oh and what's up with the "1 discus," "2 discus" convention? Why ain't they "discuses?"

Hehe.

(P.S. where is this breeder?)

It was really something possum. I am guessing he had like 75 tanks. He keeps his breeding pairs in 20 gals. Grow outs in 55, and 70 gals, and his adults in 125 gals

I love the discuses madas LOL. He's in Manorville on Long Island. You can see some of his fish on www.aquabid.com under discus - FCDiscus

Wonder how Mack is doing?

Actually they are cheap. Before I knew better, I paid up to $70 each for 2 inch fish at various lfs. I just bought a pair under 1 year old (about 6 inches), for $50 each. Plus, I know these fish were cared for properly, likely have no disease, and have the best chance for a long life so long as "I" care for them.

All in all, it's the best deal a discus keeper can ask for :D

Back
Top Bottom