Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Discus

Halloo every one,I was surrfing the net and found your helpfull site
and I would like to share my info with some one like you people.I have been keeping saltwater tanks for years now and would like to try freshwater .So here we go,My tank is 40 U.S.Gal its fully cycled and every thing seems great.ph.6.5-7.0,ammonia 0,nitrite0,nitrate0,gh 61ppm,kh20-25ppm,temp 82F.I was thinking about getting some discus.What do you think?
If possibale.How many young (2-4 inc)can I keep to prevent them from hiding all the time?
Which plants do you think I could/should keep in such a tank(pics?) with 2x25W AquaGlo(18000k).Would they be effected by this tempreture?
Hope you could help.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Mack, and welcome. I started keeping discus back in June and have raised 5 from 2" to almost 5"(see the pics in my gallery). Young discus have a bit more special needs then adults. Raising young discus in a planted tank would be a lot of work. They require clean, clean, clean water and conditions to stay in optimum health. That means a lot of gravel vacs with the daily water changes. I've raised mine in bare bottom 29 gal to lesson the work load.

Also discus do better in larger groups when they are young. The feeling of security in numbers and the competition for food keeps them active and feeding. Many people who get young fish, buy too few and this makes the fish timid and shy.

Anyway rule of thumb...1 adult per 10 gallons. If you still have your heart set on discus, they're wonderful fish to keep. Let me know if you do and I'll pass on where I did well, and some pitfalls to avoid.

Brian

Old 11-14-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Well I think BrianNY will be very helpful to you, so hopefully we will hear from him, but I think you can probably do it, maybe 3-4 individuals.

I know that with discus water changes (often daily) are an important part of keeping them, and keeping the pH stable will be important as well. Are the readings you gave from your tap or have you manipulated them with additives? If you are a SW keeper then you are already well on your way in terms of understanding what you need to do, but it will be easiest if you can adapt the fish to your water, because with so frequent water changes it is easier to keep things stable.

I think BrianNY is going to be planting his discus tank, so he has probably already researched the appropriate plants and can lend a hand here.

Good luck - I am jealous!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:00 PM   #4

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the helpful information ,Your discus are cool man,I would still love to put my hand on some discus to add to my 40gal .So what do you think about my set up?What about plants?Any helpful advice?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:03 PM   #5

The readings are from my tap water .
Old 11-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Tankgirl, I told you you were too kind. And I'm jealous of how far ahead of me you are with the planted tanks.

Yep. My 125 will be a planted discus tank. It's up and running for a week now, still cycling. I'll post a pic later today. The discus that go in this tank will be those I've from young and will be fully grown. Hopefully between 6 and 8 inches.

And Mack, I didn't mean to come off like a know it all. But if you decide discus are the way to go. Discus are not that hard to raise, if you start with the proper set of conditions and keep at it. I'd rather see you and the fish have the best chance for succeeding, which is why I suggest maybe 6 2" fish in a barebottom 29. Four young fish will get lost in 40 gallon.

Brian
Old 11-14-2003, 12:20 PM   #7

Ok brian.How many then do you think?How do you tell the differnt between male and female or does it matter?
I have 13gal tank as QT.Should I treat the new comers with meds?or high temp method?'
Old 11-14-2003, 01:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Mack, All great questions.
1. It's hard to sex discus. So don't even concern yourself with it.
2. On the plant end, I would go with low mainaniance to start. Crypts, Jave fern, annubias all can take the high temps.
3. Will the discus have any tank mates that are in the 40 gallon now? That has a bearing on your QT.
4. Don't concern yourself too much with water chemistry. Discus aren't that fussy unless we're talking about breeding.
5. Tell me about your filters?
6. Are you planning CO2 injection?
7. Are you willing to change 10 gallons of water a day?
8. Where are you planning on getting your discus?
9> Where are you in Canada? I know Toronto quite well and it's one of my favorite places
Old 11-14-2003, 01:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My soon to be discus home

Awaiting the ammonia spike
Old 11-14-2003, 01:49 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
oh lord. that makes me want a 125 so badly. The tank looks beautiful already!

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com