Discus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want them. Someday.

I've heard a lot of various things about the necessary tank size. Could I put 3-4 in a 55g or is this wayy overstocked?

No, that is fine. A breeder I got some from once had 11 adults in a 55. I do NOT suggest this, it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to properly managed such a highly stocked tank. But 4 or so adults in a 55 should do well. With enough water changes you would also have room for some other fish to make it a proper display.

Wow, really? Thanks! How about 5? I've heard they need shoals of five to be happy.

It really depends on the water change schedule. If you can keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm you are fine. Ideal number would be 5-6. That will give you a good group of discus and still have room for some maintenance fish (bristlenose pleco, sterbai cories, etc.).

I think I could do that. I actually love doing PWC's, and the tank I help maintain right now has never had its nitrates over 20.

Good, if you are already used to doing 50% water changes you should be good, even if you have to increase it a little.

I definitely plan to do planted if I ever end up going through with this. I can't imagine a tank without live plants.

A well planted tank will keep the nitrate concentration down, but there are other things that lower water quality that it will not remove. This is why it is still important to keep a healthy water change schedule in a planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom