Discus # ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not planning any just yet. I would be happy w a pair, but I keep reading that u should get at least 5 or 6.

A pair IMO. The footprint of the 56 column is the same as a standard 29 gallon... so IMO you should stock it as a 29 gallon.

30x18x24 ... A pair sounds good. I still have a ways to go, but would 2 be ok? I heard u need more like 5-6.

30x18... my apologies, that does make a bit of a difference normally. Standard 29 is 30x12 so I definitely stand corrected! Not that I am any sort of discus expert, but the length of that tank (IMO) really only lends itself to a pair purchased as a pair - discus are cichlids, after all, and even a group of young fish will have a tendency to be nasty toward one another when kept in a small space. Again, jmo.

My discus never fight I have 4 and plan to add a fifth soon I always heard no less then five they are highly social so I would say u prob need a bigger or at least longer tank I'm guessing a column tank is tall right not long? They are my favorite fishies!

Not planning any just yet. I would be happy w a pair, but I keep reading that u should get at least 5 or 6.

I would get 5-6 juvies and wait till a pair develops naturally them sell the remaining fish, add a small school of tetras and some sterbai corys and call it stocked.

Cool. I appreciate the help. I don't think I could afford a bunch. I would probably start with a couple. I most likely will have to wait a while. I am just doing my due diligence. But a boy can dream huh..?. My column tank would look sweet with some of those bad boys swimming around in there, but I want them to be happy / healthy. What about hatchets?

First I wouldn't buy from a LFS due to the ridiculous cost, I would look at local breeders and fish clubs in your area. I can get spectular juvies for $10-30 each as opposed to a $100+ and you local store.

If you're only going to keep 2 make sure you buy an actually breeding pair if its just 2 random Discus it won't result good
If you start with juvies I'd advice to go with a bare bottom tank

I wouldn't buy just 2-3 juvies only! I made this mistake before and one will just about always be heavily bullied and in my case one died and the. The other 2 fought non stop.

They can still be territorial with larger groups but it Reduces the chances of just one getting harassed.

I see. I have had angelfish before. Would u say they are similar in that regard? In that I mean pairing off and then bullying. From what I was reading I thought they were more of a schooling fish.

Not quite! None of my current discus have paired off but out of the 6 the majority can get quite territorial as they establish their pecking order.

I have been told this is common for young discus do if you get 5-6 it reduces the likelihood that just one fish takes all the bullying.

Strangely I have had angelfish a couple of times and have never had them fight with each other or anything else. I suppose sometimes it's just luck of the fish you get!

I have had my recent ones for 3 months and they are probably only 6 months old!

The last ones I had died after about 6 months during a house move as they don't move well!

I've been seriously considering converting my 56 to a discus tank for the past few days. Glad I found this thread, ill be following. Good luck to you man. Post some pics when u get things going.

Back
Top Bottom