Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbourg746

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have decided to turn my 110g tall into a discus tank. I currently have 10 giant danio, 2 red head tapajos, 1 satanoperca leucostica and some small plecos in the tank. I have no experience with discus so my question is, will I be able to keep the current stock with the discus with no issue?

the only problem there might be is how active the red heads will be. discus require pristine water conditions 25% water change every other day to thrive

also plecos produce a lot of waste so you might want to rehome some of them not a good choice for discus tank they have also been known for sucking the slime coating off discus

I really like discus and I've bred them years ago, they are the true kings of South American cichlids so they should be the star of the show...ditch the other cichlids!

I really like discus and I've bred them years ago, they are the true kings of South American cichlids so they should be the star of the show...ditch the other cichlids!

Glad I got tank space cause I don't want to get rid o the rest o the fish.

well.......I took the plunge. i moved all the other fish in the tank and now have a 110g discus only tank. they are adjusting so far and all looks well. they haven't came out very much yet but when they do I'll post some pics. I will be looking to add a few more soon but as of now I have 2 red turquiose, 2 green, 2 colbalt blue and 2 blue snakeskin. i need some red in there asap.

Goodbye geos, cbourg has no more time or money for you now thanks to his discus expedition lol

lol.....don't get it twisted, my love is for the geos no doubt. the discus just seemed like the best fit for the 110g tall tank. the geos and satanoperca are in the 125g now and doing just fine. not sure waht to do with the danios though. theya re in a empty 55 for now until I find them a new home. south american fish are my passion but i grew attached to the danios after i got them to kick start the cycle in the 110. they are some of the best looking danios i've seen.

Last edited:
lol.....don't get it twisted, my love is for the geos no doubt. the discus just seemed like the best fit for the 110g tall tank. the geos and satanoperca are in the 125g now and doing just fine. not sure waht to do with the danios though. theya re in a empty 55 for now until I find them a new home. south american fish are my passion but i grew attached to the danios after i got them to kick start the cycle in the 110. they are some of the best looking danios i've seen.

Haha I'm just messing with you. That 110 is a good discus tank, I've always liked discus just never got into them. Their native to Colombia though ;)

i've always been hesitant on trying them cause i've heard horror stories about how hard they are to keep. after talking with some local breeders, my fears were put to rest. now only time will tell.

i've always been hesitant on trying them cause i've heard horror stories about how hard they are to keep. after talking with some local breeders, my fears were put to rest. now only time will tell.

Same. My tap is like opposite for discus so water changes would be a pain.

Contrary to popular belief I had zero issues keeping and growing discus in Illinois tap water with a PH of 7.8-8.0. There fish thrived on NLS Thera with a nitrate concentration below 10ppm(no daily water changes were required).

Breeding them was a little trickier this took quite a number of tries, ultimately lowering the PH down to 6.8 with RO water before a successful spawn.

Well maybe I will try a few soon then. My ph is around 7 constant but my water is pretty hard. Glad I'm on city. My girlfriends well water runs out at 20 nitrates minimum, it sucks filling water jugs and transporting them over for water changes.

I'd add a few pairs of mikrogeophagus ramirezi for the bottom, they compliment discus so well IMO (if it's a show tank, I'm assuming it is) and then a school of lemon tetras (my go to for dithers)

Just changed my 63g planted to a Discus tank, 1st time trying them. Hope to have 5/6 in total, with mix of smaller fish. Still got a pair of Bolivians in there, but so far everyone is behaving .

staticmap

Attachments

• image-755503858.jpg
    image-755503858.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-157510188.jpg
    image-157510188.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-4053727819.jpg
    image-4053727819.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2327195613.jpg
    image-2327195613.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 65
Thanks HUKIT, means a lot coming from you - the tank is a year old next week and has went through various combinations and styles but i think i'm finally happy. Removed the Rummynose Tetra today and swapped for more Cardinals and Colombian Red Fin's. It was originally set up for Sajica's and Firemouths, funny a few months ago I said I'd never do Discus.

Back
Top Bottom