Discus...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I have decided what I want to do with my 55g once I upgrade its current residents. I want a discus tank. I know these are picky fish, but I think I have the right water params for it. Keeping them at the right water temp, and keeping up with tank maintenence is no problem. My only concerns are PH, and tankmates.

What is an acceptable ph? Mine stays around 6.8. Is this ok for the "German Strain" that my lfs carries (these are the particular ones I am looking at getting, they are just beautiful).

Also, what can I keep with them that won't stress them out? I love loaches, have them as bottom feeders in all of my tanks. What loach would be best for them? Also, do they need a dither fish? What would be a good choice there?

Other than that, the tank has a large piece of driftwood in the center, lots of rock caves, and a few plants. What else is needed in the scape to keep them happy? And how many can I keep in a 55g?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!

i have done alot of reading up on Discus... and i would say the only thing i would put them with are cardinal tetras, and cory cats. Loaches are really zippy IME, and may not make suitable tankmates.

I to, have done endless research on discus (will one day have like a 150 gall for discus) I would say add more plants for sure! for tank mates, I would do a school of cardinal tetras, a school of panda corries, and maybe like 2-6 german/bolivian rams!

i like the sound of the cardinals. I have been searching for an excuse to get a school. They won't end up as snacks for the discus?

What kinds of plants do discus prefer?

and is my ph ok to keep these guys?

I don't believe they will end up as snacks hehe (although that is a common question) as discus are usually very well tempered toward the cardinals (although they might try to eat neon...but cardinals are a little bigger) and I also do believe your PH will be fine, as I have read they like softer water!

Cardinals are fine, I have also kept clown loaches with discus and am now keeping Burmese border loaches with my discus. I have a BN pleco as well. I wouldn't bother with dither fish for discus. My ph is higher than the "recommended" ph but the ph is stable and the discus are healthy and thriving for over a year.

You might need a lower pH to breed the discus, but the 6.8 is great for keeping a discus tank. Just be sure to keep it stable and do lots of water changes (the water quality has to be super high)

awesome, so I could put my angelicus and yoyos in there with them?? That sure would be nice...

So how does this sound?

5-10 cardinals
6 yoyos
5 angelicus
1 rubberlip pleco
?? discus...(how many could I have with this setup?)

The yoyo's may be too active for the discus. That is one loach I haven't tried. You could always try and see. Put the discus in first and let them have their time for a couple of days then slowly and carefully acclimate the other fish. If it were me I would choose between the angelicus and the yoyo's, not both. Discus can be shy and that many active loaches probably would stress them. For a 55 gal I would get 4-5 discus. Are you planning on buying them as juvies? If you get them as juvies I would not add any other fish until they get a bit older. Juvenile discus are more sensitive. Also keep the temp of the tank at 85-86.

Ok. I will put just the angelicus in. They are bigger right now anyways.

The ones that I am looking at are around 3", so yes, they are most likely juvis.

Do I have to add all of them at once, or can I add, say, 1 per month until I have 5? With how expensive they are, I have to carefully plan this tank...especially since this will happen after spending a lot of money on a 200g tank, and I wait tables for a living.

Discus are expensive and prefer to be in groups. I'd add as many as you can afford at the time. Check around locally and see if your local aquarium society can lead you to a breeder. Not only will the discus be more healthy but likely cheaper. Get at least 2 for starters.

would the Texas Cichlid Association be a good place to start my search when I am ready? I have also been interested in trying to find out when the local auctions are, and who hosts things like that. Hmm...might be time to make a visit to dallasfishbox.com

I would guess it would be a start but being from Canada, I'm only guessing here. You could try posting in your local forum on AA and see if other members can help.

Rams are excellent tankmates for Discus(according to Jack Wattley)as for the Loaches and Pleco they are mostly active at night and can stress out your Discus. You could try Cardinals, Ottocinclus, and Rams. That was what I kept when I had Discus, they were nice until I introduced a Discus with dwd.

well, luckily, there is a pair of rams involved with this! Ihave a pair that is in a 20g right now that I am sure will benefit from this ;)

thanks for the advice everyone. if y'all have any more pointers, please feel free to add!!

I can't imagine anything nicer than a planted discus tank. I've a 125g. I've kept them with clown loaches, kuhli loaches, corys, apistos, rummy nose tetras, and black neons.

You don't want to rush this. My advice is to have the tank established with all it's residents before adding any discus. The logic here is that the health of your other fish is no longer a question. It would be terrible to introduce a diseased fish to a discus tank.

I grow out my juvenile discus (5 or 6 at a time), in bare bottom 29g tanks. The fact is there is very little expense to this method. All you need is a quality heater and a large sponge filter. It makes water changing much easier. It's easier to keep the tank pristine while assuring the fish get enough food to grow on. You've then got a hospital tank at the ready should you need one. The last thing you want to be doing is medicating in your planted tank. Once the discus reach 4 1/2-5 inches they are moved to larger quarters.

5 adult discus alone would max out a 55g. I've kept as many as 11 adults in a 55g but had to change water constantly. The larger the bioload, the greater the need for pwcs. Discus will let you know when their water is deteriorating.

Attachments

• all_the_discus_024_143.jpg
    all_the_discus_024_143.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom