Discus aggression question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beeritself

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I introduced a 2nd discus to my tank, thinking my solo discus wanted a buddy. The new discus a larger, but is getting bullied it appears. The little one that has been in the tank for. Little over a month will not leave the new one alone. He chases him and pecks him. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

image-1476872820.jpg

That's because Discus live in a hierarchal society so there needs to be a dominant fish then subordinents. What your original fish is trying to do is show it's dominance to the new fish. Size is not always a factor. At some point, the fish will establish a ranking then go about their business. HOWEVER, since having only 2 Discus means one will always be beating on the other until the ranks are determined, you may actually lose one of the fish as a result. Discus are always best kept in multiples of 3 or more to spread out the aggression, which helps avoid this outcome.
Hope this helps (y)

That's what I was thinking. I will have to go out and pick up some more discus. Hopefully it will ease up in the meantime. I'll go look at some more discus tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom