Discus and african

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobhowr2005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal tank and already have 9 baby africans. I would like to get a couple discus will they be ok together? Babys are in a 10gal until they get bigger. In the 55gal i currently have chanel cat, albino cat, sunfish, 2gouramis, 2convicts, 2white convicts, and 2 plecos.

Even if i take the others out and just have discus and africans theyll kill each other? How hard are discus to breed and is 55gal big enough? Im not sure what kind sunfish it is ill try take a pic and upload it.

I have no experience with discus, but I keep a green sunfish, a bn pleco, a pictus cat, and 20 african cichlids.

Discus and cichlids need very different water conditions. Discus are extremely peaceful and sensitive. Cichlids are not. Discus need to be in a school and could maybe live in a 55, but it would be cramped.

possibly pumpkinseed. also looks like maybe a longear redbreast? Here's some blurry pics of my Greenie

Attachments

• fish and computer 025.jpg
    fish and computer 025.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 71
  • fish and computer 026.jpg
    fish and computer 026.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 66
  • fish and computer 027.jpg
    fish and computer 027.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 72
Even if i take the others out and just have discus and africans theyll kill each other? How hard are discus to breed and is 55gal big enough? Im not sure what kind sunfish it is ill try take a pic and upload it.

The Africans will absolutely kill the discus. It would be just a matter of time.

A 55 gallon should be fine for breeding discus. A friend of mine breeds his pairs in 20 gallon high tanks. He does daily maintenance on these tanks so I would not recommend that for most people. Discus breed in pairs, so you can either buy a group of juveniles and hope for a pair to form (requires lots of feeding and maintenance), or you can buy an adult pair (expensive).

I have a 55gal tank and already have 9 baby africans. I would like to get a couple discus will they be ok together? Babys are in a 10gal until they get bigger. In the 55gal i currently have chanel cat, albino cat, sunfish, 2gouramis, 2convicts, 2white convicts, and 2 plecos.

Are you serious? Where to start here.

Ok thanks for the advise still kinda to the hobby im probably going to keep the africans get rid of the sunfish and breed them.

Back
Top Bottom