Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Discus and gbr

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever tried to put two male Gbr in their discus tank.. My discus tank is 75gallons planted bare bottom. And was wondering if I could get away with two males. I know I shouldn't put a pair in there for the discus but would 75 gallons allow enough space for the two boys and not bother my discus. Or would I have to do one? I just wanna make sure he does not bother my discus.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you mean a German blue ram that's plenty of space in my opinion I'm not an expert tho. My father got 2 pairs of rams and getting two discus. They should be fine together. Id try and she what happens if goes bad rehome

Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbacichlids View Post
If you mean a German blue ram that's plenty of space in my opinion I'm not an expert tho. My father got 2 pairs of rams and getting two discus. They should be fine together. Id try and she what happens if goes bad rehome
How big of tank and male and female ratio. and only two discus? And I'm not going to put the fish in there just to see. I'm not going to put my expensive fish up for an experiment. If the rams do not work it can cause a lot of problems in the discus. I'd like to know for sure.

Ps Gbr stands for yes German blue ram.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't kept either my father has successfully no problems and is doing it again. The discus get a lot bigger then the rams do. Ram max out 3 3.5 inch if you get lucky. I don't think you will have problems. My dad always kept 2 males and 2 females in rams and 1 male and 1 female in the discus. He's got a 30 right now I'd say go a little bigger like 35 to 40 gallons. Provide a lot of hiding spaces I'd also put a few plants in there fake or live that's up to you. I'm going by my experience with these guys. Not a expert tho. Sorry for last post didn't mean doe it to sound like an experiment.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not really my experience my dads.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did he purchase the breeding pair also did he ever get a spawn off them? How big did they get? How big were they when he purchased them? Also we're the discus ever nipped up?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Who discus or rams? Rams he never got a pair he always buy 2 males and 2 females never paired up tho.ram max out at 3 3 1/2 inches. Discus he got about 4 inches he only get a breeding pair onces
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

No they seemed to be fine together never any problems. Ur problems will prob be more ram on ram
Old 03-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbacichlids View Post
Who discus or rams? Rams he never got a pair he always buy 2 males and 2 females never paired up tho.ram max out at 3 3 1/2 inches. Discus he got about 4 inches he only get a breeding pair onces
4 inches from nose to the end of the tail and yes the discus. How many times did he do this and how long did the discus typically live for?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

He done it twice he's going on 3 now. Between 6-8 years they lived

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com