discus died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USMCfishcrzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I woke up to my discus dying. Immediately did a water check found out everything except the Ph had spiked. So first question wat might have caused that. Also teed saving him put him in a hospital tank but he just floated. His newly has sweeled up. So second? Is did he did from the spike or was he sick. All of my 7 other discus are fine now

The one that died was the most active. I did notice white string poop but not to sure who it came from. I have been feeding g them bloodworms every other day and hikari cichlid gold daily. I think I have been over feeding but I also had the huge spike this morning. All my other discus are still active and acting normal after I did a 50% pwc.

The one that died was the most active. I did notice white string poop but not to sure who it came from. I have been feeding g them bloodworms every other day and hikari cichlid gold daily. I think I have been over feeding but I also had the huge spike this morning. All my other discus are still active and acting normal after I did a 50% pwc.

Thats a sign of Bloat, my best advice is to stop feeding frozen and the Hikari pellets and switch to something like New Life Spectrum Thera A+ or their discus formula. You'll see better health and color and won't have to supplement anything else. Some foods with higher protein counts are harder for fish to process and their intestines become irritated and bactiera which is always there leads to Bloat which is contagious and will result in death if left untreated.

Ahold it being contagious how do I save my other 7 discus

I would monitor the rest of your fish for a few days, Bloat doesn't kill overnight it takes around a week or so. If you see the signs I discussed earlier then treat with Jungles Parasite Clear or Hikari's Metro, they both contain Metrozoidale which is easy on the fish and your biofilter, stay away from Clout it's to harsh and it's a like a hail mary pass on the parasite. The problem could stem from your improper diet, so change that first and monitor the rest of the fish. Are you feeding regular cichlid gold or discus bio-gold?

Last edited:
Cichlid I couldn't find a store with discus specific. So I got wat the breeder feeds them. Can I treat the whole tank or do I need to use a hospital tank

Cichlid I couldn't find a store with discus specific. So I got wat the breeder feeds them. Can I treat the whole tank or do I need to use a hospital tank

If there's symptoms all the fish need to be treated, don't go crazy and start throwing meds at them yet! Watch them for a few days and go from there.

When fish are younger they need food with higher protien but as they age they don't require that, but even that it's where the protein comes from that makes a difference. Compare the labels from foods like NLS and Hikari and you'll see a huge difference in the ingredients. Trust me make the switch and within 30 days youll see color and health that will amaze you! I've kept discus for quite a few years fed exclusively on NLS, mine were are purchased from Jack Watley so they were a little more fragile than some of the local tank raised.

Last edited:
So my water is spiking again ammonia .5ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
Nitrite .25ppm

Do I try another pwc which would be an addition from the 50% pwc from this morning. Or add chemicals and watch the tank

I would perform daily 30-50% water changes as long as your seeing ammonia, make sure to keep it below .25ppm. How long has this tank been running? What size tank and filtration? How many fish. What's your water change schedule like? You need to find the cause for mini-cycle.

125g
2 hob emperor 400s with the Bio wheel 2 smaller whisper filter. I'm limited on space with only 8 inches behind thh tank to put anything I cannot drill holes for a canister filter

Stock
7 discus
5 gbr
1 bolv ram
1 Cory cat
2 pleco
4 blk skirt tetra
1 dwarf gorami
1 tiretrack eel
2 pictus cats
2 kribs
4 mystery snails

I change 20/30% every other day sometimes everyday depending on my schedule
I have a power compact light with 2 10k and 2 actinic lights
It is half way planted so far

Also I was looking for nls I have found different grams? And haven't found the thera a. So I sorta need help where to find it online

Did u do a fish less cycle before u added fish? And a canister filter doesn't require any drilling

I have had the tank going for six months and I switched two of the filters from my 55g when I cycled it. It's the fact I have to drill into the stand for the piping is the problem an I don't have room one either side to run anything. And the stand is screwed to the wall. It was improper planning on my part but I couldn't pull the stand out from the wall with out pulling the wall apart

Back
Top Bottom