Discus fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 75 gallon with 6 discus. There is one pair that has spawned once. And there is one discus that's not eating. Today at feeding one from the pair being very very aggressive to the other fish. I'm wondering if the agression means they are going to spawn again of if I should take action and re scape the tank to try to curb the aggression. I don't want to stress the other that's not eating more so im not sure what actions I should take. Anyone have suggestions.?

I've never heard of discus fighting. But it might be a problem that your shoal has chosen an alpha male. Alpha males tend to be the more colorful fish that mate more often and often take out aggression on other males. You could try rescaping or adding some dither fish to diffuse the aggression. Are the discus the only ones in there now?

Could be the problem, tank all to themselves with no distractions they can do whatever they want and so I guess one claimed the title of Alpha Male. Cardinal or rummynose tetras might solve the problem as they could distract the discus and lessen the aggression. Or maybe you just got a bad seeded discus, I'm not sure.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Could be the problem, tank all to themselves with no distractions they can do whatever they want and so I guess one claimed the title of Alpha Male. Cardinal or rummynose tetras might solve the problem as they could distract the discus and lessen the aggression. Or maybe you just got a bad seeded discus, I'm not sure.

"DEVIL discus!" lol
But in all seriousness, a dithering fish school should help

Maybe I did have some rams but they bullied the discus at times. They chase but today it just seems like something changed. That's why im leaning toward a spawn coming. I'll get some more plants and see if they spawn in the next few days.

I'll look into the tetras hopefully my qt tank will be empty soon so I can get them if needed

Is the male in one area with a female if so it's spawning behavior for them to clean the area and protect it

They are in the area where they spawned last time and occasionally going to the middle and grazing

Well I had another spawn this morning. I don't think it's the pair that spawned last time. They are on the opposite side of the tank . no fish are guarding the eggs at this time so how would i tell which pair spawned?

Back
Top Bottom