Discus help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kotenok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I just bought 3 baby discus...yey!!! :) If you guys have any tips/suggestions please post them here... I would really appreciate your help...

My babies :)
img_1872149_0_90ae0e374b56089594f69106a648de11.jpg

Those are nice looking fish. I haven't kept discus, so my only advice would be the usual....water changes! Good luck!

You have your work cut out for you with babies. You need to start with a minimum of 50% daily water changes to get them to grow out. I fed my babies 2x a day until they were over 4 inches? The most important this is the water changes and keeping the temp at 82 degrees.

Lots of water changes, some do 100% daily with babies. High protein foods, warm temps.

You have your work cut out for you with babies. You need to start with a minimum of 50% daily water changes to get them to grow out. I fed my babies 2x a day until they were over 4 inches? The most important this is the water changes and keeping the temp at 82 degrees.

Thank you. What about PH? I know that they like slightly acidic water... What will happen if I keep them in 7.5 Ph?

If they are tank bred discus ph is fine as long as it's stable. If they are wild you need low ph. Discus need large daily water changes or they will never grow to their full potential.

my adult discus was tank bred, and his ph is at 8. i change about 50 to 75% daily for him. its better off to change water daily, not only for the health of the tank, but for the beauty of it, if you were to do live plants. you really do have your work cut out for you, but if you have any questions, ill be glad to help.

I've read somewhere that discus release chemicals that stop other discus from growing. That's to stop them from overstocking small streams they are stuck in over the dry season. That's why you have to do wc's. also that discus are amongst the hardest fresh water fish to keep. Definitely the most popular would love to bring some home one day!

I too have been wanting to buy and keep discus, I have been told if you have young discus you need a large shoal as they stress and thus die easy. Not the easiest of fish to keep. I've been researching for months , and speaking to an ex breeder. For tips.

Wow my discus are so easy. I only do weekly water changes and mine are pretty big and very healthy. I have them in a semi-planted tank and I don't really do anything extra. They are best friends with my rope fish.

It's only when there young and small that they can be difficult, so I've been told. If you buy large adult fish they can be kept in smaller groups or pairs. But that just what I got told by a breeder. But any additional advice or experiences is defiantly good to hear.

I got mine when they were small, but I don't know about babies. Juvies really. No special treatment. No aggression. They were added to an all angelfish tank but now its mostly discus. They eat like pigs lol but they're so peaceful and they even let me pet them sometimes. I've had most of them for probably 9 or 10 months now but a couple for only 6.

Wow that sounds promising, what's you ph, I live in a hard water area with ph7.8 ish I recently got given a filter to help with water but haven't had time to use it and test results. It had 3 canisters one with string, one with carbon and one for peat. I still need to buy peat also.

I have hard water with 7.6 ph. I only run biomax and prefilter in my fluval and only biomax in my HOB. I also have around 5 ppm or more nitrates in my tap. -shrug-

Back
Top Bottom