Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Discus Help Please

I added another discus to my tank, therefore I now have 5 juvi Discus. I need help because all but one (big blue) hide when it is not food time what should I do. I dont want to remove the decorations becuase they make the tank look stunning but what else can I do. Adding dither fish is pointless because there are allready other fish than discus in that tank. There are no phsyical signs of illhealth and all are eating fine.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are the 4 that hide showing stress bars or dark? Perhaps Big Blue is the dominate cichlid of the tank. A three foot tank is nowhere near big enough for 5 discus. Not even big enough for 4. A single pair is best and most peaceful in that size tank. So as these fish grow, they will become less tolerant of each other.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your Discus are eating and not showing a dark nearly black color or constantly flashing thier stress bars you should be ok. Discus will often times congregate in tight groups until they feel totally comfortable w/ thier surrondings. If you have had these fish a while and they are still behaving this way you may have a problem. If they are not eating you need to look at a possible internal infection of some kind.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

you changed the tank. therefor the discus are not used to it. they will need time to adjust to the new "pecking order". the new fish may be larger, mor mature, or more aggressive than the rest.

The best way to introduce new discus to a tank is to first quarenteen them and medicate if you see signs of illness, then when you are going to introduce them to your tank feed your fish and then rearrange the tank so there are no established territories and finally put the new fish in following normal acclimation procedure.

If it has been a short time I dont see how internal parasites could be a factor unless they were already present and the stress of the change of tank mates caused stress in the fish and that caused a foothold for the parasites to develope.

Anyway, if the tank you are talking about is the same tank and inhabitants as you used to have in your signature, you probably will not be too successful with the discus. There just isnt enough room and many fish in the tank.-I mean alot going on in a little space.->This is just my $.02, but I think almost every serious discus keeper, here and on simplydiscus.com will agree.

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com