Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Discus is dying please help

My Discus hasn't been doing too well the past few days. He has been hiding and stopped eating so i moved him to a quarantine tank and kept and eye on him. He had fin rot but it was starting to heal and his fins were returning but he still wasn't eating and stayed hidden in the corner of the tank.
I just woke up to find him stuck to the filter but still alive. So i got him off the filter and now he's just flailing around and it looks like he's in pain but i don't know what to do.
I don't think i can save him but has anyone else had a similar situation happen before? And what can i do to help him die in as little pain as possible? I feel terrible right now. He was my little buddy and favorite fish.
Please help!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fin rot is usually a sign of bad water. What size tank was it in? Water change schedule and how much? Filtration and maintenance? Water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #3

After i noticed the fin rot i did 25 percent water changes every day for a week. Usually do 25 percent three times a week.
He was in a 20g but moved him to a 10g for quarantine. Planned on moving him to a 75g with other discus later this week if he returned to good health.
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate was aproxx 10. He was scheduled for a water change today.
Filtration is tetra whisper 30i.
I just added aquarium salt and stress coat to hopefully calm him and added an extra air stone to add oxygen to the water just in case that was the issue. He's still alive but barely. He's contorted to one side like he's stuck turning
Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

This is how he is looking in the tank right now. He's just laying there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395422401.626201.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	229344
Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Hes dead. Thanks for all the help
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
Fin rot is usually a sign of bad water. What size tank was it in? Water change schedule and how much? Filtration and maintenance? Water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

I agree. Discus do best in groups of 5 or more. Also they require MANY water changes, excellent food, and generally a warmer temp than most other fishes. Depending on size, it could be as much as 75% 3x's day. Without meeting those needs, they are prone to many problems. Sorry for your loss. They are beautiful fish otherwise.

IMO, anything you'd find at an LFS is a $$ waster. It's a very hard decision when you're there and they look so awesome in front of you. Trust me, I know. I will pm you a link.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry you lost your fish I use reverse osmosis I haven't lost a discus in years
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

After doing some research i found he had camallanus worms. I saw little red worms sticking out of his butt. Ive heard these parasites are little devils. Ive got the medication needed to get rid of them but unfortunately i didn't get it in time to save him. But i have the medication on hand now in case it happens again. Any recommendations on any other meds i should have on hand for discus? I currently have meds for ich and velvet, fungal infections, bacterial infections, and internal parasites.

Tags
discus, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com