Discus is dying please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusLvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Discus hasn't been doing too well the past few days. He has been hiding and stopped eating so i moved him to a quarantine tank and kept and eye on him. He had fin rot but it was starting to heal and his fins were returning but he still wasn't eating and stayed hidden in the corner of the tank.
I just woke up to find him stuck to the filter but still alive. So i got him off the filter and now he's just flailing around and it looks like he's in pain but i don't know what to do.
I don't think i can save him but has anyone else had a similar situation happen before? And what can i do to help him die in as little pain as possible? I feel terrible right now. He was my little buddy and favorite fish.
Please help!

Fin rot is usually a sign of bad water. What size tank was it in? Water change schedule and how much? Filtration and maintenance? Water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

After i noticed the fin rot i did 25 percent water changes every day for a week. Usually do 25 percent three times a week.
He was in a 20g but moved him to a 10g for quarantine. Planned on moving him to a 75g with other discus later this week if he returned to good health.
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate was aproxx 10. He was scheduled for a water change today.
Filtration is tetra whisper 30i.
I just added aquarium salt and stress coat to hopefully calm him and added an extra air stone to add oxygen to the water just in case that was the issue. He's still alive but barely. He's contorted to one side like he's stuck turning

Fin rot is usually a sign of bad water. What size tank was it in? Water change schedule and how much? Filtration and maintenance? Water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

I agree. Discus do best in groups of 5 or more. Also they require MANY water changes, excellent food, and generally a warmer temp than most other fishes. Depending on size, it could be as much as 75% 3x's day. Without meeting those needs, they are prone to many problems. Sorry for your loss. They are beautiful fish otherwise.

IMO, anything you'd find at an LFS is a $$ waster. It's a very hard decision when you're there and they look so awesome in front of you. Trust me, I know. I will pm you a link.

Sorry you lost your fish I use reverse osmosis I haven't lost a discus in years

After doing some research i found he had camallanus worms. I saw little red worms sticking out of his butt. Ive heard these parasites are little devils. Ive got the medication needed to get rid of them but unfortunately i didn't get it in time to save him. But i have the medication on hand now in case it happens again. Any recommendations on any other meds i should have on hand for discus? I currently have meds for ich and velvet, fungal infections, bacterial infections, and internal parasites.

Back
Top Bottom