Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Terry, you're right about the diet and the water parameters, but his problem is larger and typical of someone that just doesn't know enough about the needs of this particular fish. In fact, it pisses me off that his lfs would even sell them to him.

Discus do better in groups. They are in fact schooling fish. Because of a short digestive tract, they have a host of problemms that other fish would never encounter. Tapeworms and constipation being the two major ones.

I'm assumming that there is gravel in his tank. This adds more problems as it makes it even more difficult to keep the water clean as both food and detritus collect and thus pollute. I'm not blaming him. He is making the same mistakes I made when I started with discus.

Discusdoodie, To give these fish the best chance of surviving, change 30% of the water every day. Ph and softness are not as important as clean water. My other suggestion would be to buy 2 more fish as competition for food stimulates their appetites. And, I would find anither home for the black ghost and shark

Old 10-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

interesting. my water is amazingly clean, and i have had discus for 2 years now. the only time i had fish die was when i went to europe for 2 months and the idiot i put in charge killed 2 discus. this is THE FIRST problem i have EVER had with my fish. i will try to do the water change more frequntly, but i have a lot of chlorine in my water. should i worry about that?

Old 10-28-2003, 03:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I just dechlor the water immediately after I make the changes. I've never had a prob. I'm gonna suggest you go to simplydiscus.com. You'll get a lot of great advice on discus there.

Tags
discus, eat, eating, not eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com