Discus on a strict Veggie wafer diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse W

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Pigeon blood discus who from pretty much day one will only eat veggie wafers and whatever he finds at the bottom. I feed the other discus and fish high quality flake food along with bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and beef heart. He refuses to touch anything else but the wafers and whatever he finds on the bottom (which as far as I can see is just pieces of the wafer and nothing else). Any ideas on how to get him to eat a more varied diet? Thanks! :)

Forgot to mention that, have tried omega one sinking pellets and they just sink too fast. Haven't tried any special cichlid pellets though.

It's not uncommon for them to eat algae wafers. Mbuna love em. Try fresh veggies like spinach, cucumber or peas. Blanch em so they'll sink or microwave them for a little bit to soften up.

FishyBusiness said:
It's not uncommon for them to eat algae wafers. Mbuna love em. Try fresh veggies like spinach, cucumber or peas. Blanch em so they'll sink or microwave them for a little bit to soften up.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot!

FishyBusiness said:
Let me know how it goes! :)

(spinach, squash and zucchini is good too...)

Since then I have tried some veggies. He liked zucchini and cucumber. However now is eating flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and beef heart. He really improved with his diet!

Jesse W said:
Since then I have tried some veggies. He liked zucchini and cucumber. However now is eating flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and beef heart. He really improved with his diet!

That's good to hear! Glad all is going well! :)
Keep the variety going with the fishies and they'll be forever happy!

Back
Top Bottom