Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Discus tank setup and mates

Just got a 240l as a new home for discus. Planning on a school of cardinals to go with them, can someone advise me as to the best number of tetras? I'd love a good number but not sure how many is too many - don't want to overwhelm the discus (planning on 6 ). I want to really showcase them but am also wondering if any tank cleaners might be a good idea?

Also any advice about best tank setup would be appreciated - I'm keen not to have a bare bottom. I've read elsewhere rocks shouldn't be kept with discus?

Experienced fish keeper, I've read extensively about water quality etc and plan on a long cycle before purchasing my discus, but I want to get the setup right initially.

Thanks so much!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't do any tank cleaners at all. If you keep up on the husbandry there would be no need as you won't have any time for anything to actually grow. Also, there's many out there that will wind up latching onto them and sucking the slime coat off and eventually killing them from stress.

Cardinals are a great idea and I would say 8-10 should do well in that size tank. What size Discus are you looking to start with and where are you looking to purchase them from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

German blue rams tend to go well with discus as they prefer similar temperature ranges (higher than what most South American fish prefer). I've also heard of people keeping sterbai Cory cats with discus as this species of corydora is able to withstand the higher temps as well, while most cories will simply perish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! I haven't decided about the discus, I like the idea of raising them from small however I know that's more work. Any suggestions?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I failed to mention the GBR's and Sterbai's. A little under the weather this week. Only person I know that can catch a cold while it's 90į and July. Stay well away from the SAE's though.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plecos (even bristlenose) or any other fish with a suckermouth are bad idea with discus.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahsArkFish View Post
Thanks! I haven't decided about the discus, I like the idea of raising them from small however I know that's more work. Any suggestions?

Raising them from small is fun but yes, a ton of work. IMO/E, anything under 3.5" will need daily WC's and preferably 2-3 daily. It really depends on what type of Discus you want but I can tell you of one place to stay clear of as they are notorious for offering something (quality, health, guarantees) they can't produce. There are many highly reputable breeders/importers available and I've dealt with online, totally hassle and worry free.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hi i have a 300L discus tank and i have 30 rummynose tetras in with my discus and they are all fine. have atleast 12-30 would be good . hope i helped you out a bit
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you have big discus and small(young) neons they will eat the neons

Tags
ate, discus, mate, setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com