Discus water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm thinking of starting a small discus breeding project and had a couple questions about their water quality. I know that they need near perfect water so first off should I mix half and half RO/DI and tap or just go all RO with an additive? Secondly what is the best way to bring the PH down to suitable levels? Lastly I have a reef tank and run a protein skimmer on it to remove the dissolved organics so would that be logical or possible to run one on freshwater to keep my water even cleaner, never heard of anyone doing this just kinda thinking out loud.

As far as I know freshwater aquariums don't Have needs for a surface skimmer. In fact, with a high amount of gas exchange ( oxygen which discus need plenty of) caused by water surface breakage you generally don't have a whole lot of anything to skim off the top of the water. I would suggest in a tank to grow and form a few pairs, In order to keep water cleaner (especially with discus ) go with a high GPH filter and a uv sterilizer. For your breeding tanks youll have to bight the bullet... Large sponge filters and plenty of water changes *daily* if you want to sell anything of quality or with life in it This includes your fry tanks as well. Discus is one of the hardest fish to breed and rear being that they demand quality water, food and attention. Newborn fry often struggle to live do to parasites, inexperienced parents and sometimes even their own color strain.

Skimmers are for saltwater. They do more harm than good in a freshwater setup.

Using ro/di water is good if you have terrible tap water, otherwise you are stripping the essential elements that are required. You may start to notice ph and hardness issues if using only RO/di water but mixing it with tap won't hurt.

Malawi Freak said:
Skimmers are for saltwater. They do more harm than good in a freshwater setup.

Using ro/di water is good if you have terrible tap water, otherwise you are stripping the essential elements that are required. You may start to notice ph and hardness issues if using only RO/di water but mixing it with tap won't hurt.

I would have to beg to differ... Ya tap would be ok for a DT but from my understanding the discus larvae need the utmost quality or else they will be deformed or die

You can keep discus in tap water at normal 7.0 ph and they will spawn. But if the water has to high of a tds reading the eggs will not hatch . So if your planning to breed them ro is the way to go along with daily Pwc of 50% or more. The only discus that need low 6 ph are wild caught discus.

First, where are you getting your discus from? Are they wilds or are the locally bred or are they imported from Asia? Do you plan on purchasing a pair that has already formed or do you plan on purchasing 5-6 individuals and letting them pair by themselves? Knowing these things will help determine the water parameters that they need, not only to live, but to reproduce and the tanks you will need.

It is true that if the water contains too much calcium and magnesium that your fertility rates will drop off as will the viability of the egg as a result of osmosis becoming more difficult and the ability to exchange gases across the membrane becomes much more difficult as well. However, we are talking very high amounts of calcium and magnesium and you most likely won't have that in your tap water. I have bred discus in a pH of 8.0-8.2 and a GH of well over 300ppm and have had 95%+ fertility rates.

Wilds require water that very closely approximates the environment from which they came: soft and acidic. Domestically bred discus will thrive in a pH range of 5.5-8.5 and they would prefer at least some hardness to the water. Anywhere from 50ppm(considered soft) to 300+ppm (often referred to as liquid rock) of calcium and magnesium will work for them and they will be capable of breeding in this as well.

The fry also need hardness to the water and many discus breeders keep it around 100-140ppm to promote healthy bone structures. The most important thing however is clean water and frequent feedings. If you aren't prepared to feed at least 5-6 times per day then you shouldn't even consider trying to grow out discus fry. Hatcheries in Asia change 90-95% of the water 2+ times per day while others implement a continuous water change system.

Also, there really isn't such thing as a "small discus breeding project". You should have at a bare minimum a 29g tank to permanently house the pair (with no other inhabitants), a 20g QT tank, 3 29g growout tanks, 2 55g growout tanks, and a final tank or two about 75-125g in size.

Back
Top Bottom