Discus - Would they work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon (200L) aquarium. It is currently very full, so I am not adding anything else. I have always wanted discus. Could they work for this size tank? Now, I would of course rehome some of the fish (Most of them!)

Some questions:

How many discus could I keep? Could I have some rummies and some cories as well?

How hard are they to keep? I have heard some people say they are a nightmare to keep, and others say the opposite?

Basically, If i was to rehome the fish in my aquarium and start a discus tank, could it work?

This would be a project for next year, but I would love to start thinking about it now! How many discus would be the maximum with rummies and maybe cories?

Thanks

I have a 50 gallon (200L) aquarium. It is currently very full, so I am not adding anything else. I have always wanted discus. Could they work for this size tank? Now, I would of course rehome some of the fish (Most of them!)

Some questions:

How many discus could I keep? Could I have some rummies and some cories as well?

How hard are they to keep? I have heard some people say they are a nightmare to keep, and others say the opposite?

Basically, If i was to rehome the fish in my aquarium and start a discus tank, could it work?

This would be a project for next year, but I would love to start thinking about it now! How many discus would be the maximum with rummies and maybe cories?

Thanks

I think it could work. They like fairly acidic water. Rummynoses do great with bdiscus. Corys would be fine with them too because they mainly stay at the bottom. In a 50g, I would get 2-3 discus and a school of 10-15 rummynoses. Usually with corys, groups of 5 or more work best. I would do a group of 8-10.

I have discus and I literally don't do anything special for them. And mine are nice and big and bright.

maxwellag said:
I think it could work. They like fairly acidic water. Rummynoses do great with bdiscus. Corys would be fine with them too because they mainly stay at the bottom. In a 50g, I would get 2-3 discus and a school of 10-15 rummynoses. Usually with corys, groups of 5 or more work best. I would do a group of 8-10.

Not to hijack, but I have a 56 (only 30" long) and have considered turning it into a discus tank in the future. Would any species of discus be comfortable?

Not to hijack, but I have a 56 (only 30" long) and have considered turning it into a discus tank in the future. Would any species of discus be comfortable?

One may be fine in that tank but I wouldn't count on it. You might be able to have a pair if they are the only thing in the tank.

When you buy discus you need to get them in pairs. Never have 3 of them because 2 of the will pair up and then the other one will be picked on and possibly killed.

Go 4. And then you could put 8 or so rummynose tetras or whatever, maybe even throw some kuhli loaches in there. You'll be pretty stocked though. Imo.

CherryBarb123 said:
Thanks!

So, could I go with 2 or 4 discus then?

Yea you can get four but you should get them together. Before you buy them from your lfs ask them if they are eating and what are they feeding the discus because they can be very picky.

Ok, Thanks!

Does a higher price buy better quality, or is the cheaper price due to colour or size? I have seen dicus in my LFS for about £20, and others for £80. Is there a massive difference?

CherryBarb123 said:
Ok, Thanks!

Does a higher price buy better quality, or is the cheaper price due to colour or size? I have seen dicus in my LFS for about £20, and others for £80. Is there a massive difference?

It depends on the size and colour of the fish. The wild discus is the most expensive.

You have to check them if they are healthy. Usually that fat ones are the healthiest.

Back
Top Bottom