Disease or bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malawi Freak

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the second fish in the last week like this. I have recently added this guy along with 5 other peacocks, parameters are where they always are and only thing that has changed is I've removed my sump and added a fx5. The other that had these signs was an ob peacock that was much smaller and I just ruled it off as aggression.

Attachments

• image-1062802293.jpg
    image-1062802293.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 177
Looks like a bully fish you might to ove the hurt fish, or the bully fish

This is the second fish in the last week like this. I have recently added this guy along with 5 other peacocks, parameters are where they always are and only thing that has changed is I've removed my sump and added a fx5. The other that had these signs was an ob peacock that was much smaller and I just ruled it off as aggression.

I don't buy peacocks anymore, they can't hang with the crew. The only one ive had success with is my Ruby Red, he's a beast. I've had 2 OB peacocks I've had to remove because they were too docile and all my Ruby Red Peacock females had to be rehomed too :/ I have a juvie Ruby Red just starting to color up, ill probably be rehoming him also as my Boss Peacock is approximately 7 1/2 inches and likely to bully him.

Last edited:
I don't buy peacocks anymore, they can't hang with the crew. The only one ive had success with is my Ruby Red, he's a beast. I've had 2 OB peacocks I've had to remove because they were too docile and all my Ruby Red Peacock females had to be rehomed too :/ I have a juvie Ruby Red just starting to color up, ill probably be rehoming him also as my Boss Peacock is approximately 7 1/2 inches and likely to bully him.

I have a ob with my mbuna and tho he is not the dominant male he don't take no crap from lower ranked fish lol.

Well I'm glad the general thought is aggression. Thanks everyone. I had a feeling it was that because I have 4 females holding near the end of the term and 6 fry that are fine. Tonight ill be setting up a tank for him and a chialosi to recover. Hopefully it's not too late.

Looks like aggression.

I recently had a convict kill my entire tank - JD, Firemouth, and an Oscar.
For about 3 years they were great...

I'm pretty sure in a disease in the tank. I've lost 6 fish in the past 24 hours and numerous others are starting to show the same fin rot. QT has been going for the past 24 hours and I've been taking out any fish I see with any signs. Both tanks are being treated and I did a 90% water change.

Oh man that stinks!! I had a horrible bout with columnaris it took 20+ of my crew!! I hope you nip it now. Have you identified what it is yet? What are you treating it with?

Switched medications yesterday to PraziPro. Starting to get depressing looking into the tank, numbers are dropping dramatically. I had roughly 15 chailosi, around 5 now. 10 maingano down to 3. 4 Kenyi down to 2. Lost all saulosi, new royal My big red zebras were around 8 in total down to 4 now. Flamebacks and peacocks are down to half were they were also. I've lost count how many it's been so far but I want to say close to 30 with losing around 6 per day. Did another 90% wc today and really got into the sand. Dosed with the PraziPro again and aquarium salt. I'm hoping that if this is a parasite this stuff is going to catch it now. As dosing maracyn 2 it was getting worse and the QT only kept fish alive for about a day. With the PraziPro it doesn't seem to be spreading and the ones affected are holding on for the time being.

Here's some pics of the last couple days. Right now there are 6 showing signs and I lost another today.

Attachments

• image-2238335694.jpg
    image-2238335694.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2109956767.jpg
    image-2109956767.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2898929428.jpg
    image-2898929428.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-276612939.jpg
    image-276612939.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3487588204.jpg
    image-3487588204.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 95
  • image-4227317214.jpg
    image-4227317214.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image-476096995.jpg
    image-476096995.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 86
Man that is some nasty stuff. Im sorry man, i hope you can get it under control. Best of luck to you!

That's a nasty case of Columnaris, I'd use Tetras Fungus Clear, drop the temp into the low to mid 70's, and dose aquarium salt at 1tbs to 5 gallons.

Fungus Clear was the only product to stop my strain a few years ago, I tried Maracyn 1&2, Maroxy, and API's fungus med. I was even seeing all kinds of secondary infections like popeye as well, Fungus Cure stopped the outbreak and the fish that had chunks of flesh missing are still alive today. Jungle made the orginal formula but Tetra bought them out but they didn't change the product, it's available at Wallymart and Petsmart. I lost 17 fish before stopping my outbreak, another vital reason to QT everytime no matter where the fish come from.

Last edited:
I had a horrible bout with columnaris. Not sure if you can find my thread if you check my profile but I treated it with Maracyn Plus and II, I dropped the temp to 70-72 and dosed kosher salt at 1 table spoon per 5 gallons BUT I did half the dose in the morning and the other half when I got home. I had to do this for 2-3 weeks and lost 25 fish in total. Every fish that was showing died.

I feel for you brother and hope the best!

I'll be following along. When I started dosing I took out the carbon and didn't do a water change for a week then did 2 50% water changes then dosed again.

Again best of luck battling this nasty thing.

Dino

Thanks Hukit, were they the tablets you were talking about? I just picked those up and will be treating the tank with it tonight. Just in case that doesn't work I also bought pimafix and metro+. I'm thinking go through 2 doses of the fungus clear, if that doesn't work next week ill try the pimafix and after the metro+. Also gonna try the metro+ in my QT tonight.

I remember that Dino, this whole time that's all I've been thinking about. I think my tank is down around 40-50 fish now. It looks so empty to me now. I'm used to the 100.

Back
Top Bottom