Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JF213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 107
Dither fish

I know that this thread has been posted too many times, but I am wondering why so many people suggest the silver dollar as a dither fish? I am looking for other options, other then them and tetras.

Can I use red tail sharks with fire mouths, convict, severum, and a gt?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
JF213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF213 View Post
I know that this thread has been posted too many times, but I am wondering why so many people suggest the silver dollar as a dither fish? I am looking for other options, other then them and tetras.

Can I use red tail sharks with fire mouths, convict, severum, and a gt?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
No, redtail sharks are extremely aggressive to con-specifics. I would say congo tetras, lemon tetras, redeye tetras, or wild variety platys/ swordtails would be you best options.
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jmats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 216
Are there any tetras who can live with Africans?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
jmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmats View Post
Are there any tetras who can live with Africans?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To broad of a term, be more specific.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JF213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 107
Wouldn't lemon tetras and platys be too small to keep with these cichlids?

Also have you keep swordtails with cichlids before? Out of the choices I am interested in the swordtails but I am worried about their fins.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
JF213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF213 View Post
Wouldn't lemon tetras and platys be too small to keep with these cichlids?

Also have you keep swordtails with cichlids before? Out of the choices I am interested in the swordtails but I am worried about their fins.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
A full grown lemon tetra or red eye is rather large. In fact mine are easily 3 inches already. They would be fine with cichlids from what I understand. Wild type platys are also commonly kept with CA/SA cichlids from what I understand. Swordtails are also excellent dithers for CA/SA cichlids. They could get nippy with the swords but they are study fish and will be more than fine. Also supply a live food of sorts with every birth in the tank.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JF213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 107
Thank you for the feedback.

How many swordtails are typically in a school 6-12?

Last question, are wild platies the same as the gold or Mickie platies typically found in a fish store?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
JF213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF213 View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

How many swordtails are typically in a school 6-12?

Last question, are wild platies the same as the gold or Mickie platies typically found in a fish store?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
How big is your tank? For a 55-75 gallon I would say 8. Above that 12 would be cool. Make sure to keep the M/F ratio in mind as for any live bearer. As to the platys, The little green-speckled ones... no red, no orange, no tuxedos, no Mickey Mouse heads, just pure wild-type X. maculatus. They can be hard to find but are rewarding to keep. You can have other platy types for your dithers if you want but I prefer the wild types. Hope this helps!
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
As to the platys, The little green-speckled ones... no red, no orange, no tuxedos, no Mickey Mouse heads, just pure wild-type X. maculatus. They can be hard to find but are rewarding to keep.

There's actually a wide color variety of wild type platys. In addition to X. maculatus there's also X. Variatus and a few others. You'll likely not find any in the stores due to the fact they aren't as colorful as the domestic strains.

I personally have:

Xiphophorus variatus, Agua Fria

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419213610.068977.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	259067

Xiphophorus maculatus, Rio Grijalva
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419213727.822732.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	259069


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mikem691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
There's actually a wide color variety of wild type platys. In addition to X. maculatus there's also X. Variatus and a few others. You'll likely not find any in the stores due to the fact they aren't as colorful as the domestic strains.

I personally have:

Xiphophorus variatus, Agua Fria

Attachment 259067

Xiphophorus maculatus, Rio Grijalva
Attachment 259069


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
WOW the Xiphophorus variatus, Agua Fria is better looking than any store platy I have ever seen.
__________________

__________________
mikem691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dither fish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could a betta fish be used as a dither fish? firemouth143 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 09-09-2010 12:18 AM
To Dither or Not to Dither, that is the question! JDogg Cichlid Discussion 7 09-07-2007 08:58 AM
please recommend a good 'dither' fish - my fish are shy Bubble_B0y Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 06-07-2006 05:13 PM
Dither fish??? Punkymom Cichlid Discussion 4 07-31-2004 08:47 PM
Just learned something new...dither fish? shawmutt Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 06-18-2003 07:43 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.