Dither fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know that this thread has been posted too many times, but I am wondering why so many people suggest the silver dollar as a dither fish? I am looking for other options, other then them and tetras.

Can I use red tail sharks with fire mouths, convict, severum, and a gt?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know that this thread has been posted too many times, but I am wondering why so many people suggest the silver dollar as a dither fish? I am looking for other options, other then them and tetras.

Can I use red tail sharks with fire mouths, convict, severum, and a gt?

No, redtail sharks are extremely aggressive to con-specifics. I would say congo tetras, lemon tetras, redeye tetras, or wild variety platys/ swordtails would be you best options.

Are there any tetras who can live with Africans?

Wouldn't lemon tetras and platys be too small to keep with these cichlids?

Also have you keep swordtails with cichlids before? Out of the choices I am interested in the swordtails but I am worried about their fins.

Wouldn't lemon tetras and platys be too small to keep with these cichlids?

Also have you keep swordtails with cichlids before? Out of the choices I am interested in the swordtails but I am worried about their fins.

A full grown lemon tetra or red eye is rather large. In fact mine are easily 3 inches already. They would be fine with cichlids from what I understand. Wild type platys are also commonly kept with CA/SA cichlids from what I understand. Swordtails are also excellent dithers for CA/SA cichlids. They could get nippy with the swords but they are study fish and will be more than fine. Also supply a live food of sorts with every birth in the tank.

Thank you for the feedback.

How many swordtails are typically in a school 6-12?

Last question, are wild platies the same as the gold or Mickie platies typically found in a fish store?

Thank you for the feedback.

How many swordtails are typically in a school 6-12?

Last question, are wild platies the same as the gold or Mickie platies typically found in a fish store?

How big is your tank? For a 55-75 gallon I would say 8. Above that 12 would be cool. Make sure to keep the M/F ratio in mind as for any live bearer. As to the platys, The little green-speckled ones... no red, no orange, no tuxedos, no Mickey Mouse heads, just pure wild-type X. maculatus. They can be hard to find but are rewarding to keep. You can have other platy types for your dithers if you want but I prefer the wild types. Hope this helps! :ROFLMAO:

As to the platys, The little green-speckled ones... no red, no orange, no tuxedos, no Mickey Mouse heads, just pure wild-type X. maculatus. They can be hard to find but are rewarding to keep.

There's actually a wide color variety of wild type platys. In addition to X. maculatus there's also X. Variatus and a few others. You'll likely not find any in the stores due to the fact they aren't as colorful as the domestic strains.

I personally have:

Xiphophorus variatus, Agua Fria

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419213610.068977.jpg

Xiphophorus maculatus, Rio Grijalva
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419213727.822732.jpg

There's actually a wide color variety of wild type platys. In addition to X. maculatus there's also X. Variatus and a few others. You'll likely not find any in the stores due to the fact they aren't as colorful as the domestic strains.

I personally have:

Xiphophorus variatus, Agua Fria

View attachment 259067

Xiphophorus maculatus, Rio Grijalva
View attachment 259069

WOW the Xiphophorus variatus, Agua Fria is better looking than any store platy I have ever seen.

Did you order these online? Which site?

Are platies better with NE cichlids then swordtails or is it just preference?

You don't get that kind of stuff just off a website. There is also seasonal availability on certain fish. I have connections with various breeders and importers. I only keep wild type Livebearers and Central American cichlids.

Greg sage does however keep some wild type swords on hand:

http://www.selectaquatics.com

You don't get that kind of stuff just off a website. There is also seasonal availability on certain fish. I have connections with various breeders and importers. I only keep wild type Livebearers and Central American cichlids.

Greg sage does however keep some wild type swords on hand:

Select Aquatics - Tropical Fish - Livebearers - Swordtails

Do you ever get any fry that you'd be willing to part with? (y)

Can you do an assortment of tetras? Would they school? Could you do 4-cardinals, 4-buenos aires, 4-Congo, and 4 red eye.

Is something like this looked down upon? If so is it better to do 6 and 6 or just 12 of one type.

Can you do an assortment of tetras? Would they school? Could you do 4-cardinals, 4-buenos aires, 4-Congo, and 4 red eye.

Is something like this looked down upon? If so is it better to do 6 and 6 or just 12 of one type.

Best to just pick one type and do a large school.

Yeah, while its not necessarily frowned upon it is better practice to keep a large school and it will be more aesthetically pleasing in your tank. The dithers are meant to not take away focus from you showpiece cichlids. (y)

To be honest in my opinion you really don't need dithers with the stock you have. All the severums I have had and have now are very outgoing. I have not had green terrors or convicts but they also seem out going when I have seen them in others tanks. Only the meeki are questionable. I have had fearless and shy with them. So in a way if the severums are out I would think the rest of the fish would think its safe as long as no one is being picked on.

I was wondering the same thing but I am looking for something to make use of the top half of the tank. All cichlids are constantly out except the black convict. He has been hiding a lot lately.

Back
Top Bottom