Dither fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamERER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 150 gallon tall African cichlid tank. But sadly none of my fish are ever at the top except for at feeding time. I wanted to get some bala sharks or tiger barbs as dither fish. Any advice on what kind to get, how many to get, and any other advice that will help. THX
Here is n image of the tankIMG_0069.jpg

Bala's probably would not be the best choice. Tigers prefer softer water but could be ok. I would not have less than eight tigers. They are great fish in the right circumstances

What would do the best in your opinion? Do u have any experience either with keeping dithers with them?

I don't have African cichlids. Bala sharks get very large. Anything less than a massive tank is the wrong thing to do. I do have some tigers that are dithers to some mild Central American cichlids. I like them. Tigers, black Ruby's and Odessa barbs are all very active, boisterous, energetic, rambunctious fish.

Arrange the tank so there is rockwork higher, this will allow the fish to venture higher and still feel secure near structure.

The rocks I have are probably not enough to go very high and the cichlid stones I use are really expensive.

I have one more question- it says that you should buy no less than 7-8 but if I got a few green, albino, and regular tiger barbs would they all create a school?

The rocks I have are probably not enough to go very high and the cichlid stones I use are really expensive.

Go to a landscape supply company and you'll find a huge selection of natural stones for pennies a pound. I have bought texas holey rock to huge pieces of flatstone.

27198-albums2128-picture14135.jpg

I have one more question- it says that you should buy no less than 7-8 but if I got a few green, albino, and regular tiger barbs would they all create a school?

Mbuna don't need dithers in my opinion.

I'm pretty much set on getting tiger barbs but if I get different kinds will they school together

Get yourself 6 or so giant dannos....they school all over, ut mostly the top 1/3 of the tank. Very active. Or some rainbows...same

I don't want anything to expensive because rainbows are like 10 dollars each. And tigers are like 2 dollars each.

Ok. So I just bought 6 giant danios for the tank. Wish me luck.

I was just gonna say, I'd scratch the giant danios, they work for dithers with less aggy fish, but with more aggressive ones in the tank, in my experience they will jump the tank, I moved a 125 not to long ago and found about 7 of them all dried up.

I always chalked them disappearing to being ate. [emoji23][emoji85]

Looking back I can totally see why they would jump. [emoji20]

Mine have been in the tank for a day and none of the cichlids seem to bother them and they're doing good

Back
Top Bottom