Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

dither fish for jack and terror?

My baby green terror and baby jack d. have done nothing but hide in their caves since I got them roughly 2 weeks ago. so I'm looking for a good dither fish for them. I thought that my 3 bosemani Rainbow fish would look great in there, but that turned out to be a mistake. I had to dig them back out before they got eaten. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to feed an 8 dollar fish to a 6 dollar fish... anyway, I believe I'm going to try about 5 giant danios. they are cheaper and still look pretty neat. any other suggestions or thoughts?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First what size is your tank? Allot of SA/CA keepers use buenos aries tetras as dithers. I don't know why but they don't typically get messed with. I have not tried them myself. All the ones I have seen have been with adults so it might be different with juvies not sure.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well right now they are sharing a 30 gal until I get my 75 gal-- which I could go pick up if I would quit getting snowed in. I know, 30 is rather small for them once they get any size to them, but they really are quite small now and they won't be in there long. there is also a gold gourami in there with them. If I sneak up on them I can catch a glimpse of them very briefly, but as soon as they notice me they hide and will not come out until I leave. The jack will come out at feeding time, but only for brine shrimp. the terror doesn't come out until I'm gone.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Young new worlds generally are quite shy. I wouldn't add anything until you have the 75, as something my come up and you're not able to get it and then you're stuck with even more fish in a small tank.

As for dithers, giant danios or buenos aires tetras work best with JD, GT, and many other new worlds. They are quick, and larger bodied.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perfect advice from gecko
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm certainly holding off for more fish. I still think I'll get thr Daniels when the time comes. The B.A. tetras have been a pain for me in the past. They are actually quite aggressive for tetras. Or... what do you think about a nice sized school of tiger barbs? They would probably just be nice snacks for the cichlids wouldn't they?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
dither fish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com