DIY Aquascaping..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use red lava rock in my tank. Easier to drill and make holes in. Still a huge pain but can be done with a nice big carbide drill bit and a hammer and a chisel. I bought about 150 pounds of boulders for $20 then used a sledge hammer to break them into smaller pieces. I had some petco ones with holes in them to make some caves I made two of my own before I decide its to much work. It's easier to stack and make caves then to drill holes in the rock. Trust me

image-618866233.jpg

I use red lava rock in my tank. Easier to drill and make holes in. Still a huge pain but can be done with a nice big carbide drill bit and a hammer and a chisel. I bought about 150 pounds of boulders for $20 then used a sledge hammer to break them into smaller pieces. I had some petco ones with holes in them to make some caves I made two of my own before I decide its to much work. It's easier to stack and make caves then to drill holes in the rock. Trust me

Wow that's a sharp looking tank, and rinsing measures I should take? Washing? And where did you get boulder sized rock..?

For washing I just hosed it off really good. Call around the local landscaping and ask if they carry it. Only one place near me had it, but they had a lot.

Go to your local landscaping company and get some basalt, sandstone, limestone or some nice big river rocks. Normally you can get 100 lbs for less than $20 bucks. I got some "blueberry" basalt when I had Africans and it looked killer in the tank and I only spent $14 bucks on it.

Any pictures of the blueberry basalt? Is there another name for it?

sweet, how much was that..? and can any rocks be used in an aquarium or are some not fish safe? and what substrate is that..?

It was about $14 bucks for 100 ish pounds if memory serves me. Yes you'd be perfectly safe adding any rocks you find yourself or at your local landscape supply provided you clean them yourself . However any rocks that contain limestone will naturally buffer your PH.

The substrate is a mix of black sand and crushed coral.

whats the best way to keep sand clean from waste? i have a gravel vacuum from aqueon i believe its the one with the inline balloon primer, and its not sucking up the heavier stuff, any ideas..?

Get it as close as possible to the sand, I usually lose some sand when vacuuming but not a lot.

What kind of heavy stuff do you have? The waste is all you need to get out otherwise try a turkey baster or just the tube with no vacuum attached

you think the vacuum is slowing it down..? and i cal it heavy because its not getting moved by the gravel vacuum, it may be light as hell just not suck-up-able

Back
Top Bottom