DIY Concrete Background - pH Spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryODonnell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I recently created a 75gallon DIY Concrete Background similar to Joey's posted here:

It has been about 3-4 Weeks and I am still spiking from 7.4 (tap pH) to 8.4+ after a full water change and about 30 hours. I have been doing regular water changes about every 48 hours, there is extremely high flow (1300+gph) so things are moving around well across all surfaces.

Has anyone built these before? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of leaching out the calcium? I don't want to go an epoxy route as the tank is already set up and I actually want some algae and aufwuchs to grow on the surfaces for my hill-streams loaches, also it would be very pricey for aquarium grade stuff.

I have seen some hints online including using vinegar, aquarium salt, and water softener salt. Aquarium salt seems to have had little impact, tried vinegar last night but haven't tested since. I have not tried softener salt yet but that is my next step.

All advice and anecdotes welcome! I want to stock this bad boy up!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 2019-04-29.jpg
    2019-04-29.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom