DIY Rock Background Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedZebra24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I just finished sculpting and siliconing all my styrofoam for my 3D background for my 75 gallon Mbuna tank. In order to fit all the pieces in the top, I had to separate the background into 4 pieces. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to silicone them all into place properly when I'm finished cementing? I'll attach some pictures to show you what I'm workin with! I took the pictures with my iPhone, so they might suck.. Sorry.

image-1440906518.jpg

image-2532385188.jpg

image-1279886967.jpg

Coat all the pieces, seal all the sides with cement and run bead of silicone to seal the gaps once in the tank. After the silicone cures dab the same substance you sealed the foam with over the seams to camouflage it.

Keep in mind the "cement" will add 1/4"-3/4" total diameter to your pieces keep that in mind and trim them down accordingly before hand

Ok, so dab the seams where all the pieces come together once it's all siliconed to the back. Gotcha. I would assume with a thicker batch of cement than used for coating it all.

Yea.. I'll most likely have to trim the sides. The top has room.

I had a thread in DIY you can look at to kind of get an idea.

Also yes use a thicker coat to help give more texture and blend /hide the edges.

Back
Top Bottom