Do cichlids ever tip over rocks and diftwood in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I used to keep cichlids as a kid and I am familiar with how they dig around and rearrange plants and rocks...but I never had a big enough tank to have any sort of rocky decoration. Do cichlids ever dig enough to tip over rock sculptures and driftwood setup in a tank? I ask because I am considering putting them in a 180 acrylic and I am little worried that they may knock something over and scratch the side of the tank. Should I be cautious of this?

Yes, they can definately tip over rock structures. Glue the pieces together so it is heavier and more sturdy.

Yep, this is a very valid concern for many types of cichlids.

I always make sure rocks and other tank decor are seated on the tank bottom and then add the substrate around it. This works pretty well for small species, but if you're looking into the bigger species, FF's glue suggestion is a very good idea.

Personally i've never had a rock slide. As voodoo suggested, if everything is placed securely and tied into each other, i don't think you will have a problem.

i have never had a rock "slide" but when one fish digs all the gravel from under a large rock...the whole structure will shift, no matter how well constructed/glues they are... 8O

do tanganyikan cichlids also tip over rocks? i have trets and calvus right now. I'm asking because i have read that tanganyikans have a more peaceful temperament when compared to malawis. dont know if this applies for sand digging as well

Back
Top Bottom