Do female Auloncaras get any color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought an Aluncara to go with my single male to start building a male peacock tank. I thought it was a juvenile male that just hasn't colored up because I see some blue on the face and a little red behind the gill. But now I am wondering if it is female. The original peacock keeps chasing and nipping the new peacock but causing no damage.

Any way to tell if it is female besides coloring? I can't vent because it would be to hard to catch in me tank.

The females do get some color like the top fin and a very faint color on the body sometimes. I haven't yet seen one that gets any blue in the face. Males don't normally start coloring till they reach 2.5-3" or so. Very seldom have I seen one color at a smaller size. Can you upload a good picture of it?

I can take one tonight but I don't think the camera will get the color. They are both about 3" Any way to tell besides the color?

I can take one tonight but I don't think the camera will get the color. They are both about 3" Any way to tell besides the color?

Nope not really! If it's a true 3" or a little bigger and it's still very faint in color and has a lot of silver the odds of it being female are high.

Back
Top Bottom