Do fish dance or play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I swear my two African cichlids were swimming in sync today, I was watching them for a good 20 minutes and there they were swimming up and down and around in circles,It was pretty amazing to watch! They were seriously in sync! Good stuff,wish I taped it but I was so into just watching, it was truly a very amazing thing to watch.

View attachment 62721

View attachment 62722

This were the 2 swimming. I swear there like best friends. They even go into the air bubbles together and just hang out there.

Lady_Alia said:
I think fish like to play. Are you sure they aren't courting though?

I'm not sure about that... But it's really interesting to watch though. The littler one will swim up and down, up and down then in circles near the other fish then the other fish will do the same. And finally they both swim together. LOL! It's like the one fish is teaching it the moves then says now you try it! Hahaha.

I'm going to try and get it on my iPhone when they/if they do it again. I'll be on the look out for the dancing duo! :)

My two lil yellow labs always swim in sync together and hide in same spot. They are pretty cute to watch.

u havnt seen play til u have oscars ;)
mine will follow eachother and rub against eachothers sides, will roll a pebble to eachother, will wake up next to eachother, have made the tank bare in a corner and will guard it together, they reverse into eachother and nudge the other's sides (sometimes accidentally putting their tail fin in a mouth lol) they are an absolute buddy buddy pair!

iv also had playful mbuna, and the fry are absolutely adorable when they start to learn concepts of fighting and attempting to claim territory from the adults!

u have beautiful fish :) x x x

Oscars! I play catch with mine and a ping pong ball, if I open the lid and hold the food packet then they spit water at me till I feed them, if I put my hand in the tank they come and rub up against me, all three of them rearrange the decorations and move pebbles around between themselves! They even play with the ping pong ball between themselves!

please im training my oscars to attack when a hand goes in the water!!

how long did it take to train the oscar to play with the ping pong ball? xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
please im training my oscars to attack when a hand goes in the water!!

how long did it take to train the oscar to play with the ping pong ball? xx

Oh they certainly attack fingers when the are not in the mood for play! My 2 year old likes feeding them , they often grab his fingers, which he finds rather amusing!

With the ping pong ball, I kept throwing it in for 5 minutes or so before feeding, in the end after a few weeks the albino started trying to hit it! Now she can spit/ hit it back to me! The other two don't seen quite so interested!

that is soo cool :)

initially it was getting them to nudge my finger, but suddenly started to bite and now they will actually draw blood, i gave up on making them gentle and now im making them attack hounds :L:L

how big is your oscar? x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
that is soo cool :)

initially it was getting them to nudge my finger, but suddenly started to bite and now they will actually draw blood, i gave up on making them gentle and now im making them attack hounds :L:L

how big is your oscar? x

The tiger and the red are about 8 inches, the albino is about 9 or 10.

Back
Top Bottom