Do i have room for any other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIES2525

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have:
3 Malawi Mbuna
1 Electric Blue crayfish
1 Red finned shark

i am new to Chiclids, and dont know what else can be put in the tank with these Malawi Mbuna's. Will they get to big for a 39 gallon tall tank? I should have researched before i bought but i didnt.
I am really intertested in a Bristlenose Pleco, or a golden nugget pleco, but im not sure they will be alright with the crayfish, or the Chiclids. And they are pricey...
Anyone have any experience with any of these, or have any suggestions for me, please help I want some new tankmates, but also want to make a smart purchase! So if not a pleco, what else would you put in my tank?

How long have you had the electric blue crayfish in with your cichlids? I love those but I was told you couldn't keep them with african cichlids. i'm pretty sure the ratio is 1in of fish per gallon so you could have 39 inches of fish but just keep in mind of how big the fish get fully grown. My brother has had both of those plecos in with his cichlids, he actually has an albino bristle nose in his tank now. He had 2 or 3 golden nugget plecos but didn't have luck with them, I think that they were attacked or eater but hasn't had any problems with the bristlenose. I have clown loaches, yoyo loaches, 2 plecos and some catfish in with my cichlids.

depends on how big your fish are and what else you plan on putting in there.

also think about how much sand and rock or decorations you have, as that displaces some of the water capactiy. a 39 gallon tank should be about 36-37 gallons of water w/ normal "filling"

the general rule is 1" of fish per gallon, so if your fish are each 4" long you might have some more room. however, this rule is just for how much room they need to survive... not thrive.
i might add one more fish, but you want to stay away from overfilling the tank, if you want your fish to all thrive. buy another tank if you want more fish.

ive had my crayfish for probably six months now, with no problems what so ever with him fighting with my cichlids. Ive heard the cichlids will possibly attack him once he molts, but he hasnt done that yet so i dont know if thats true or not. Ill let you know once it happens...

Back
Top Bottom