Do i need more females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have 2 males and 2 females? Do I need to get more females? The only real aggressive one I have is my big blue female.. My big male yellow lab is starting to be a Lil more since he has fitting a lot bigger... The 2 bigger ones are te ones that chase each other the most

The recommendation is 1m to 4 f. As they mature they will get more aggressive and the 2 females will be constantly harassed as the males try to breed. Get another 5 or 6 females or get rid of 1 male and add a couple more females, IMO.

Oh ok... Tank is 20g :-( I know that's small for them.. I was trying get rid of two to my friend but she feel threw so il stuck w them pretty much....

Yeah that is small for them. They really need the bigger space so they have more swim area as well as more territories and hiding places. Not to mention the potential water quality issues. :(

In that sized tank the fish will not flourish and you could also have added aggression issues. I would upgrade to a bigger tank if at all possible.

I think my big blue one is trying to breed!! I just noticed her chasin the bigger yellow one and then they stopped n did a Lil "dance" thing n she had her mouth down there... :-/ so could she be chasing the boys bc she wants to breed so bad?

What type is your blue one? I thought you had yellow labs? How do you know the blue one is female? And is it chasing a yellow lab or another of the same type as it?

I have 2 yellow labs 1 kenyi (big blue one) and 1 maingano.... I vented them and know for sure the big blue on is female and the two yellow ones are male I can't for sure tell what the maingano is she's still Lil but I got her from the "female" petsmart ...

Usually the male chases the female in an attempt to breed. This is probably more of a territorial thing if I had to guess.

She only does it to the yellow labs not the maingano though :-/ she's been my biggest problem but the biggest and most active

Back
Top Bottom