Do mbuna need members of the same species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if it makes any difference in keeping one male mbuna with other groups of mbuna species vs having a group of it's own species with it?

I was at the pet store and decided to buy the 4 metriaclima greshakei that they had there to go along with my 4 Acei and 5 yellow labs. It was hard to get a look at them, but i dont remember seeing any real issues with them aside from them being a bit aggressive to eachother in such tight space. I had to drive home an hour and when i got them in the tank that theyll be in for the next couple weeks, i noticed one looks a bit beat up. Not missing fins but it looked like its been bugged alot and the others kind of push him around. I cant tell if it was the ride home or before that damage was done. Alot more space and places to hide now, so its alot better. But im thinking if they end up having issues with eachother i might just keep a more docile male with my other fish. I also read online that the females are brown and the males are the ones that show the colour? This may mean i have more males than females, but theyre too small to really tell being around 2" or slightly more

I was wondering if it makes any difference in keeping one male mbuna with other groups of mbuna species vs having a group of it's own species with it?

I was at the pet store and decided to buy the 4 metriaclima greshakei that they had there to go along with my 4 Acei and 5 yellow labs. It was hard to get a look at them, but i dont remember seeing any real issues with them aside from them being a bit aggressive to eachother in such tight space. I had to drive home an hour and when i got them in the tank that theyll be in for the next couple weeks, i noticed one looks a bit beat up. Not missing fins but it looked like its been bugged alot and the others kind of push him around. I cant tell if it was the ride home or before that damage was done. Alot more space and places to hide now, so its alot better. But im thinking if they end up having issues with eachother i might just keep a more docile male with my other fish. I also read online that the females are brown and the males are the ones that show the colour? This may mean i have more males than females, but theyre too small to really tell being around 2" or slightly more

From my experience, it has worked out better to have different groups, less aggression.
With mbuna it is a hit and miss, I've had to remove/add fish to a tank to calm things down but once you get the right mix, you'll enjoy them a lot better.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

From my experience, it has worked out better to have different groups, less aggression.
With mbuna it is a hit and miss, I've had to remove/add fish to a tank to calm things down but once you get the right mix, you'll enjoy them a lot better.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I may not have worded it the best. I want different groups and have been trying to stay with 4-5 and preferably 1 male for each group. I was wondering if i had the one metriaclima greshakei male by himeself in the tank, if he would be generally happier or anything different instead of trying to find another group of females around his size to go with. Im thinking if i have issues i might just keep him as a single and hope he doesnt go crazy after my yellow labs lol

How about i ask how many of you guys keep a single member of any mbuna in your mbuna tank? Did you notice anything different or happen to introduce more to the group later and notice any change? Just wondering if i can sneak the odd single in to add more to the tank if need be so i can stay within my stocking amount and not have to struggle to find the right genders if i dont get lucky with a batch of juvies lol They're 16 bucks a pop here so i cant really buy a dozen and hope

Back
Top Bottom