Do my fish recognize me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ochana25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys so possibly a dumb question I have a parrot, jack Dempsey, firemouth, severum and Pleco now everyday when I come home and they see me they all go crazy like there excited anyone else. Walks by nothing lol when they always know when it's feeding time and they all eat from my hands and when I put my hands in there they all let me touch them so my question is do they know me?

Hey guys so possibly a dumb question I have a parrot, jack Dempsey, firemouth, severum and Pleco now everyday when I come home and they see me they all go crazy like there excited anyone else. Walks by nothing lol when they always know when it's feeding time and they all eat from my hands and when I put my hands in there they all let me touch them so my question is do they know me?

Yes, lots of fish (especially those you have) recognize their owners and see, "oh hey it's that giant ape...thing that feeds me!"Out of curiosity, what size tank are these guys in?

There was a study done that determined that mbuna had the IQ of a toddler (I can't remember what age it said specifically) so yes your cichlids do recognize you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cichlids are highly intelligent when it comes to problem solving and recognizing people so I would also agree that they recognize you.

When I set-up my salt tank that sits literally 2 feet to my left and behind me as I sit here typing, it wasn't long at all before the second the lights went on in the morning I would turn around to see my Green chromis damsel, and Fiji damsel sitting there in the corner staring at me. when I moved and turned to look, the chromis would go bonkers with excitement and swim back and forth a couple times and then right back with his nose in the corner looking at me, saying "food" "food" "food" in his fishy language.
When my wife would walk in the room, everyone would hide and peek out to see the stranger.
Now they have gotten used to her and don't hide, but since I feed them, they go bonkers when they see me.

Damselfish are related to cichlids so it makes sense that they would display this behavior.

Damselfish are related to cichlids so it makes sense that they would display this behavior.

Huh?!

I guess that's kinda true.... all fish are sort of related. Just like tetra are related to rays.

My fish swim up to the top when I come over, but I noticed that if I look though my tank from the side to the inside glass it is reflective. So I'm not sure they can even see me, maybe they see movement?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fish come up to me when I walk up to the tank. When my mom is visiting and she comes up to the tank to watch them, they run and hide. It's amazing. I don't have any cichlids, though. I have peaceful community fish. Fish are definitely smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love there personality except jack Dempsey it's a love hate relationship he's a prick lol

Damselfish and clown fish along with cichlids are in the suborder labroidei. In addition, the first cichlids were saltwater fish. Damselfish and clownfish will also watch over their fry like cichlids.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I love there personality except jack Dempsey it's a love hate relationship he's a prick lol

I feel the same way about my apistogramma piaroa he's a total jerk, I've never heard of an apisto biting someone, but he does.

My Makobe island follows me, and waits, and freaks out when I don't feed him, he ignores everyone else, but he will stare at me whenever I'm in view.

My Makobe island follows me, and waits, and freaks out when I don't feed him, he ignores everyone else, but he will stare at me whenever I'm in view.

I like the fact that my cichlids recognized me, but one of the reasons I stopped keeping africans is that they started to creep me out with all of the staring.

I like the fact that my cichlids recognized me, but one of the reasons I stopped keeping africans is that they started to creep me out with all of the staring.

Hahah stop starring at me swan!!! My dwarfs are the only fish I have that come to the glass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom