Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Do they know something that I don't?

For the past couple of days, the German Rams have ventured higher, encroaching on the mated angels territory. The angels chase them back down but it almost appears that the rams are stalking them.

The angels haven't spawned for quite some time...several weeks whereas in the past, they had a regular spawing schedule of every two weeks. The rams have never gone that high in the past, preferring to stay at mid-level.

Do, or can the rams sense a spawning is coming? Is the phermones responsible and the rams able to decipher it?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting Jc. I would think that a fish's pheromones would change during spawning, and I don't see why other fish wouldn't sense it. I guess if your angels spawn in the next few days, you will know for sure.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
It could be the other way around. Maybe the rams are starting to stake out thier territory.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I will be interested in seeing who will be the spawning pair. It might be the angels or like Rich said maybe the rams.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you altered the pwc schedule JC? Has the pH shifted at all since their last spawn?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting...but you can definitely remove the rams as the potential spawner's...it's two males on the alledged hunt.

Brian...the schedule never changes...PWC once a week...ph stays at 6.8~7.0 and temp is a steady 81d (mostly for the rams). Now that I think about it, they haven't spawned since I introduced the vals.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

It could be that just planting the new plants has altered the landscape enough to disrupt the territory (wee tiny short baby vals or more fully grown plants?) and interrupt the spawning schedule. I also think the new interest the rams are paying the angels has caused enough stress, minor though it may be, to make the angels want to be extra sure before spawning again. They will likely keep the rams at bay and resume their business.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

They may be noticing that a free meal is on its way. Don't let the stupid rush to the tank front when we walk near fool you. These fish had to survive at somepoint in time by instinct and ability. They search for food and are very aware of surrondings. In my tanks my American Flag Fish spawn frequently. Many of the tetras and my striata botias in the tank pick up on courtship very quickly and start to "follow" the pair around the tank awaiting a tasty treat. The danios are very good at zipping in and gettig the eggs as they are deposited.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepomis
In my tanks my American Flag Fish spawn frequently. Many of the tetras and my striata botias in the tank pick up on courtship very quickly and start to "follow" the pair around the tank awaiting a tasty treat. The danios are very good at zipping in and gettig the eggs as they are deposited.
My A. calvus do this also, hanging out in the cryptocoryne stand when the rainbows spawn and snatching up the eggs as they fall. It would not be a bit surprising to learn that the rams sense a tasty meal comin'.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com