Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you guys use purigen?

Purigen, does it work well? Is it worth the buy?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use it one of my tanks it works well. If you have to cash it doesn't hurt to have. Defiantly makes water crystal clear

Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakepen View Post
Purigen, does it work well? Is it worth the buy?
I have it in my 20 gallon, and it works great to clear the water. And it's rechargeable so that helped justify the cost to me. I definitely see a difference in the water quality as far as clarity goes.

10 gallon red cherry shrimp tank, with babies and at least 40 shrimp
SassyMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started using it and don't see it making much difference in my canisters. I did water change earlier an put new purigen in today and water is still slightly cloudy 8 hours later.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd save your pennies to purchase more Prime, changing more water is by far better for your fish and the tanks appearance.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I'd save your pennies to purchase more Prime, changing more water is by far better for your fish and the tanks appearance.
I agree. I bought into the hype of purigen, chemi pure elite, you name it I bought it. But in the end... Old fashion water changes is all you need!! And of course as mentioned Prime. I buy it as big as available to me.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright, I bought the python water changer. So I actually enjoy doing water changes. I think I know the answer to this question, but can I do to many water changes? This week I did, 3 water changes, about 50-60% each time.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakepen View Post
Alright, I bought the python water changer. So I actually enjoy doing water changes. I think I know the answer to this question, but can I do to many water changes? This week I did, 3 water changes, about 50-60% each time.
IMO that's a bit overkill. Weekly water changes and your good to go UNLESS something comes up that warrants otherwise... 50% weekly's are good even 20% weekly's. bottom line IMHO. Know your tank. Know what it needs, how long you can go and the rest is easy breezy man... Smooth sailing.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

IMO that's a bit overkill. Weekly water changes and your good to go UNLESS something comes up that warrants otherwise... 50% weekly's are good even 20% weekly's. bottom line IMHO. Know your tank. Know what it needs, how long you can go and the rest is easy breezy man... Smooth sailing.
Ya I hear you. I've been doing water changes Wednesdays and Sundays. Not for ammonia or nitrites, those are always 0. I do it for the trates, want those under ten, I'd like my fish to grow fast. But I did one wed, and my obliquiden died that night, so the next morning I did another one. Just thought it would be good to get that water out. That's why I did three. It's not a hassle at all, just get the python going, and do other things while its draining, or sit back and relax.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #10

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

No there is no such thing as to many water changes, in the wild they have a endless supply of clean water. If you enjoy it do it, your fish will reward you with great growth, color, and better overall health.

Tags
purigen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com