Do you guys use purigen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purigen, does it work well? Is it worth the buy?
I have it in my 20 gallon, and it works great to clear the water. And it's rechargeable so that helped justify the cost to me. I definitely see a difference in the water quality as far as clarity goes.

I started using it and don't see it making much difference in my canisters. I did water change earlier an put new purigen in today and water is still slightly cloudy 8 hours later.

I'd save your pennies to purchase more Prime, changing more water is by far better for your fish and the tanks appearance.

I'd save your pennies to purchase more Prime, changing more water is by far better for your fish and the tanks appearance.

I agree. I bought into the hype of purigen, chemi pure elite, you name it I bought it. But in the end... Old fashion water changes is all you need!! And of course as mentioned Prime. I buy it as big as available to me.

Alright, I bought the python water changer. So I actually enjoy doing water changes. I think I know the answer to this question, but can I do to many water changes? This week I did, 3 water changes, about 50-60% each time.

Alright, I bought the python water changer. So I actually enjoy doing water changes. I think I know the answer to this question, but can I do to many water changes? This week I did, 3 water changes, about 50-60% each time.

IMO that's a bit overkill. Weekly water changes and your good to go UNLESS something comes up that warrants otherwise... 50% weekly's are good even 20% weekly's. bottom line IMHO. Know your tank. Know what it needs, how long you can go and the rest is easy breezy man... Smooth sailing.

IMO that's a bit overkill. Weekly water changes and your good to go UNLESS something comes up that warrants otherwise... 50% weekly's are good even 20% weekly's. bottom line IMHO. Know your tank. Know what it needs, how long you can go and the rest is easy breezy man... Smooth sailing.

Ya I hear you. I've been doing water changes Wednesdays and Sundays. Not for ammonia or nitrites, those are always 0. I do it for the trates, want those under ten, I'd like my fish to grow fast. But I did one wed, and my obliquiden died that night, so the next morning I did another one. Just thought it would be good to get that water out. That's why I did three. It's not a hassle at all, just get the python going, and do other things while its draining, or sit back and relax.

No there is no such thing as to many water changes, in the wild they have a endless supply of clean water. If you enjoy it do it, your fish will reward you with great growth, color, and better overall health.

What are your nitrAtes at? Water changes are good to reduce them but maybe we can get to the root of the problem? Over feeding? Overstocked? Under filtration?

No there is no such thing as to many water changes, in the wild they have a endless supply of clean water. If you enjoy it do it, your fish will reward you with great growth, color, and better overall health.

That's awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear.

What are your nitrAtes at? Water changes are good to reduce them but maybe we can get to the root of the problem? Over feeding? Overstocked? Under filtration?

And no, before I had the python I did water changes once a week, and my nitrates weren't over 20. So they don't get high fast, no more than normal. I have about 17 fish in my 70 gallon with a emperor 400 and fluval 406. Think I'm gonna get another 406, just to make myself feel better ha.

I feel, I'm keeping these fish, I'm giving them a home, trying to recreate there natural habitat. I feel they deserve the best water quality I can afford to give them.

I feel, I'm keeping these fish, I'm giving them a home, trying to recreate there natural habitat. I feel they deserve the best water quality I can afford to give them.

Is the tank you're talking about have the puffer in your avatar?

And no, before I had the python I did water changes once a week, and my nitrates weren't over 20. So they don't get high fast, no more than normal. I have about 17 fish in my 70 gallon with a emperor 400 and fluval 406. Think I'm gonna get another 406, just to make myself feel better ha.

Not necessary bud, you have enough filtration. You honestly won't see a difference other than more gunk in another filter lol.

Not necessary bud, you have enough filtration. You honestly won't see a difference other than more gunk in another filter lol.

Also I plan on getting another tank, 150 gallon or larger. So Id probably move both 406's to that, and get an fx5. Or keep my 70 gallon going too, and use one of the 406's on that. Either way, the filters definitely will be used.

I agree. I bought into the hype of purigen, chemi pure elite, you name it I bought it. But in the end... Old fashion water changes is all you need!! And of course as mentioned Prime. I buy it as big as available to me.

I agree about water changes and I do keep up with water changes. About 20% twice a week. I still see a big difference with my water clarity versus when I didn't use purigen. I do use prime as well. I don't know, but for my tank, it seems to make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom