Do you mix your lake type cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I don't, and generally don't recommend it. I did when I first started; in fact my first Rift Valley tank had lemon cichlids (Neolamprologus leleupi), auratus and Neochromis rufocaudalis, one species from each of the major lakes. It did work out fairly well. With further attempts I had a few successes and more failures. In the end decided it was easier and I was more likely to have success by keepin' fish from the different lakes separate.

WYite

With proper research and husbandry its very possible and can be done long term but as said above your just better off keeping different lakes/continents seperate. That being said I've kept labs with fronts and right now I've actually got a festae with my mbuna (very temporary lol) with no issues. Given the festae is about half the size as the malawis but give him some time to grow and he would eat every fish in my tank lmao

It seems that everyone knows but I will throw my two cents in. Malawi and Victoria can be in the same tank with few problems, do to the similar temperament. Especially if they are over populated, tripled at least.
While tanganyikan cichlids hate to be crowded and will kill each other because of it.
Can it work yes of corse, as will an angel with an Oscar. But should it? Ahhh, no

I have all lake Malawi cichlids except for a duboisi from Tang. They are all young -inch to inch half-. Should I rid of the dubosi or eh?

Douglas4701 said:
I have all lake Malawi cichlids except for a duboisi from Tang. They are all young -inch to inch half-. Should I rid of the dubosi or eh?

Rehome him. They become pretty aggressive and should be kept in colonies if 10+ in a 75gallon or larger

I have a colony of tropheus in with my mbuna's in a 125gal with practically zero issues. The tropheus and mbuna's have very similar dietary requirements and temperaments and in my tank ignore each other for the large part.

The first tropheus introduced into this tank was a female tropheus duboisi which I acquired when I responded to a 'free african cichlids' ad in my area. The duboisi came included with three pseudotropheus demasoni's that were being given away. I was only interested in the demasoni's but the lady insisted I take all the fish she had (she had acquired a used aquarium set up which included these africans, but she was only interested in tropical community fish which she wanted to stock as soon as all the cichlids were taken).

The duboisi was completely ignored by the mbuna's in my tank and has been living with them since 2007 with little issue. ('little issue'=maybe once or twice a month this duboisi will initiate short duration pursuits towards mbuna's with zero physical contact; activity of this sort occurs on a daily basis among the mbuna's themselves).

A couple of years after that I acquired a group of about 16 Tropheus sp. black 'Bemba' juvies and added them to this same tank. They've been completely ignored by mbuna's and vice versa since 2009.

kay-bee19 said:
I have a colony of tropheus in with my mbuna's in a 125gal with practically zero issues. The tropheus and mbuna's have very similar dietary requirements and temperaments and in my tank ignore each other for the large part.

The first tropheus introduced into this tank was a female tropheus duboisi which I acquired when I responded to a 'free african cichlids' ad in my area. The duboisi came included with three pseudotropheus demasoni's that were being given away. I was only interested in the demasoni's but the lady insisted I take all the fish she had (she had acquired a used aquarium set up which included these africans, but she was only interested in tropical community fish which she wanted to stock as soon as all the cichlids were taken).

The duboisi was completely ignored by the mbuna's in my tank and has been living with them since 2007 with little issue. ('little issue'=maybe once or twice a month this duboisi will initiate short duration pursuits towards mbuna's with zero physical contact; activity of this sort occurs on a daily basis among the mbuna's themselves).

A couple of years after that I acquired a group of about 16 Tropheus sp. black 'Bemba' juvies and added them to this same tank. They've been completely ignored by mbuna's and vice versa since 2009.

I agree that in a 125 that would be doable but the minimum colony amount alone will max the Bioload capacity on the OPs tank. You are running a 46 gallon bowfront correct OP?

Roger that. I can take him back to the places got him. Will trade him for a peacock or such.

Btw if anyone is near Dallas and would like a free duboisi cich I will give him/her to you.

Back
Top Bottom