Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does aggression from new additions subside over time?

Hey guys. I know, its impossible to say because it depends on the individual fish involved. But, generally speaking, should my existing fish become more tolerant of the new ones i added? And at what point do you guys say enough is enough and remove a fish? This time when adding new fish, they have both been having a very tough go it seems since they both are targetted almost as soon as they are seen. I redid the entire tank decor before adding. Please bare with me since i tend to explain a little too much sometimes and the post becomes longer...

The rusty male i added is simular in size to my larger blueberry cobalt male, vs the other fish being a good deal smaller. When the blueberry sees rusty he almost always chases him across the tank until rusty gets away, and im afraid it wont stop. Other fish couldnt care less. No real damage yet, but rusty's tail is starting to get tattered a bit. Blueberry was pretty good with the rest so im not entirely sure why he picked rusty, maybe hes too subdominant of a fish to stick up for himself. The other fish i added was a rainbow shark, so i know its hit or miss for working. But the little yellow labs seem to start nipping and chasing him when they spot him, and once he gets running the entire tank sees him and joins in for the hunt. Im worried he wont ever fight back. Although i just added him, so maybe the difference in water chemistry gave him a rough start :/ This one came straight from the fish store to here where i only floated the bag instead of the drip acclimation i should have :/

Pevious stock:
-1x male blueberry cobalt zebra (around 3")
-3x metraclima greshaki (2" or so) 1 male and a female for sure, unsure of other
-4x acei (2") unsure of sexes for sure
-5x yellow labs (1.5-2") 1 male and 3 females for sure, last could have gone either way when vented

New additions:
-1x male rusty (2.75" i beleive)
-1x rainbow shark (i think 2" in length, but alot more slender in comparison with the mbuna)

75 gallon tank

Old 09-19-2015, 01:43 AM   #2

You got any pictures of the fish?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-19-2015, 01:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I could try lol they don't like to sit still. Which ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2015, 02:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Main thing im worried about is the "shark". Whenever he ventures out from hiding, he gets seen and chased around by everyone until he ends up back in the top corner freaked out. Would you guys leave him in there, or maybe pull him into his own tank for a while or something? Idk why they go so hard for him, its like they KNOW hes not a fellow mbuna and wont tolerate it. Maybe if this is to work id need a bigger one to put up a fight :/ beautiful fish though
Old 09-19-2015, 02:52 AM   #5

Just an over all pic to just get an idea of what the setup is like. Also yeah I wouldn't have a rainbow shark in with cichlids but that's just me.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #6

With cichlids you could have a big Bala shark in there for instance and the cichlids would still pick at it.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a quick pic of the tank now. Gotta let the inevitable algae blend it all together again lol rocks are hollow with holes as well as the fake wood thing. And I know generally nothing works well with mbuna. I looked into these sharks for quite and while and it seemed a decent chance of working out. A lot of the bad stories were about the shark actually being the aggressor lol but it's all in the individual fish so that's why I'm worried. I wasn't expecting the target to be painted on this ones chest lol I've always liked these fish but never had a tank big enough. So I wanted to try and make one work, and also get some red into the tank as well :/Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442642550.944906.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	278202

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-19-2015, 03:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok well unfortunately the shark thing isn't an issues anymore. I found him wrapped around the inlet of my AC110 :/ but for my rusty and for future reference, does the aggression against new fish subside over time as the others get used to seeing them? I get that it's a new fish and they need to act and big and macho lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

In some cases if they aren't relentless, they should establish a pecking order, I know someone with a 2.5 foot arowana that is with a few koi ranging from 5 inch to 9

Old 09-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Of course they were all raised in the tank which I think is the best bet.

Tags
aggression

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com