Does anyone know this cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's definitely a Mbuna from Lake Malawi. I'm no expert on Africans so I can't give you the exact species.

I read the link with skepticism Seth. A cross between a convict and a Mbuna would be one for the record books. I'd say it's almost on par with proving the existance of bigfoot. So you're going to need alot of proof to back up the claim. Still, bigfoot hasn't been proven not to exist.

I need a clear shot of the fish. It's hard to tell but I do agree with Brian that it's an Mbuna from Malawi. The color pattern looks different in the two pics and it could be any number of fish. A clear shot would be the only way to ID.

I also doubt that the African is breeding with a convict. They do not breed in the same manner. Convicts are Substrate Spawners whereas Mbuna are Maternal Mouthbrooders. Mbuna breed with other Mbuna but I've never seen or heard of a documented account of a CA and an African breeding.

I will post a picture of the father probably tomorrow to make sure he is a convict. My fiance saw them breeding about 2 months about and we had a batch of 3 from that and she was recently holding when we put her them in a bigger tank and we have 3 from this batch. We are going to get a little fry tank tomorrow and see if we cant raise them without the jack dempsey eating them.

thanks

seth

I agree with everyone else, need a clearer pic to make an ID. Also probably a good idea to post a pic of the father to confirm what it is.

It is not the Jack dempsey at all. it is the african and the convict that are for sure. It isn't a guess. My fiance witnessed the african laying eggs and taking them into her mouth and the convict swimming in front of her and releasing his in-seam-team for her to take into her mouth to fertilize the eggs.

ilive466 said:
It is not the Jack dempsey at all. it is the african and the convict that are for sure. It isn't a guess. My fiance witnessed the african laying eggs and taking them into her mouth and the convict swimming in front of her and releasing his in-seam-team for her to take into her mouth to fertilize the eggs.
i still think we need a picture of the "convict" as i am thinking it is miss IDed, there are a few africans that are convict like...

here are a couple of crappy pictures of the father. It was bought originally as a convict but maybe they were wrong..

thanks

seth

Attachments

• photo_010207_009_156.jpg
    photo_010207_009_156.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 26
  • photo_120206_002_147.jpg
    photo_120206_002_147.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20
  • photo_051407_002_139.jpg
    photo_051407_002_139.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 25
yeap that is NOT a convict, sorry to bust you bubble... that is another species of african cichlid. that makes more sence that they would be breeding...

ilive466 said:
what type of african is it then.

any suggestions
i am not an expert on IDing Africans, but if i had to guess...

it is a Mbuna from lake malawi

i want to guess it is a species in the genus Metriaclima, but i am not sure on that :oops:

let me do a little more looking

It's a Lake Malawi Mbuna. That makes a LOT more sense than a Convict. Specific species? not sure. Would have to do some checking on that.

:edit:
The body shape does not look like a Pseudotropheus. Could also be a mixed. Will keep looking.

i asked a couple of african cichlid breeders i know, they agree that it most like a Metriaclima "like" fish, but i most likely a hybrid :?

May I ask where you bought the fish? If you live in Canada and you got it from petcetera, chances are it's a hybrid as I've seen only hybrids in the petcetera store I work at. Them selling it to you as a convict would be very likely as not many employees have any aquarium knowledge. Petceteras the only pet store I can think of that would make that mistake :lol:

It slightly resembles a Cynotilapia afra though I can't guess which one. It could be a hybrid though, as I'm not 100% positive that its a C. afra.

If you got it out of a mixed African tank....there's really no telling what it is. ;)

Back
Top Bottom