Does it matter if i mix south american with african

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was more sharing my experience than I was recommending they do it.

It's definitely not ideal by nature's terms but plenty of people do it & plenty have success. As long as the person asking the question is informed that it could be a big mistake, I don't see a problem with people sharing opinions about going against the norm.

With that said ... I LOVE YOU ALL :)

ronnieroach said:
I was more sharing my experience than I was recommending they do it.

It's definitely not ideal by nature's terms but plenty of people do it & plenty have success. As long as the person asking the question is informed that it could be a big mistake, I don't see a problem with people sharing opinions about going against the norm.

With that said ... I LOVE YOU ALL :)

Yeah I understand that and personal experience counts. But, some posters are new and are looking for advice. I think the responses here could easily lead a new member to think this a good idea, when it's largely not. Just my opinion.

5x5 said:
Yeah I understand that and personal experience counts. But, some posters are new and are looking for advice. I think the responses here could easily lead a new member to think this a good idea, when it's largely not. Just my opinion.

Yeah, thats a good point.

I definitely think a person should only try this kind of mix if they're an EXPERIENCED aquarist.

I really don't think you should mix continents between rift lakes and large CA/SA species. I'm fine with Kribs and Angels together or African Butterflies and Dwarf Cichlids, but I don't think lakes and large cichlids is a good idea.

If you think about the water parameters, the immense size differences, the diets, the aggression levels, and the compatibility, I would ask yourself, "Is it really worth it?"

I think the majority of people who have mixed continents do not end up with that same combo after a while. A year in this hobby does not equate to success. Fish grow and behaviors, attitudes and diets can change. Think about the long term tank ahead five years from now.

After reading my fair share of threads and see advice from some very good cichlid experts I would think its best to keep continents separate.

JMO. Do whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom