Does my tank need a Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cterzich

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to be changing my tank over and I would like to know if I need a pleco? If so which one will work best?

I think it depends on your tank and what you want to do with it. If you are looking for something to take care of some algae they aren't the best choice.

No tank really needs a pleco. What size tank are you moving to and what will your stock be? I have six tanks running and only 2 of those have a pleco in them. They do good for some types of algae, however algae can be controlled by other means.

The only reason you would need a pleco is if you like them and want one. You dont NEED a pleco. If you have algae problems, there is a reason. You need to fix the reason for the problem.

If you want a pleco you should buy a nice one that does not get big. Other wise you are going to end up with a monster that you will have to get rid of down the road.

yea cuz mine sucks and doesnt clean crap ..rather leave droppings the size of toddlers in my tank and my tank always looks bad beacuse of it...

yea cuz mine sucks and doesnt clean crap ..rather leave droppings the size of toddlers in my tank and my tank always looks bad beacuse of it...

Ditto... I would get a dwarf or small variety... The little Clown pleco I had was awesome. Even at the small size he pooped his brains out, specially after I had driftwood in there, that's all he chewed on was wood.

Watch your water chemistry, being scaleless they don't like ammonia and give him some vegetables like zuccini and stuff. They will appreciate it.

Some of the Clowns eat algae and some don't. It's a shot in the dark, if that's the reason you want one you may not get lucky in that regard...

wow nothing i read here had anyone saying ya go for it lol i guess people see what they want.

i never suggest adding anything with out some basic info on what tank size and whats already in there.

I think you are right cabezon.

Cterzich. It seems like everyone suggests using a python. For some reason I had trouble with it. I think it was because I was just starting and didn't know what I was doing. Then again, I've never heard anyone say they had trouble using theirs. So, I took it back and just got a plain old siphon and didn't have any trouble with that one. I might decide to try a python again now that I have a little experience under my belt. But you definitely need something to clean the bottom of your tank and to help with water changes. (unless you have a small tank and plan to do 100% w/c's.)

I think you have confused pleco with python

No, your wrong and I really don't see how you can get that. My question was asked in the cichlid forum; therefore, it's safe to say I'm talking about a cichlid tank. I wanted to know if it's a good idea to keep a pleco or it really doesn't do anything.

it does do something but you do you expect someone to answer with out letting people know what kind of fish and how big of tank do you have?

Back
Top Bottom