done!! 55 gallons of cichlid heaven. *pictures*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To make the link work, type it like this TEXT Where I put the xxx, put in the actual link and remove all spaces. It may take you a few times to get used to it, but it's easy to remember. Don't put the URL in the last part of the [/url]

Since you are not looking for wattage, I would suggest the All-Glass Triple Tube Strip. Use two 50/50 Bulbs and one Actinic. OR, maybe use the Double Tube Strip with one Actinic and one 50/50 bulb. You won't have the algae growth since the pure light is so small, but the 50/50 and Actinic bulbs REALLY bring out the colors of Africans.

thankyou lonewolf and fishy finatic for the links they are great. i will probably buy a balast kit from home depot or somethnig and then just attach that instead of actually buying a light strip. it is much cheaper this way and it will fit more custom into my new canopy. and i am glad everyone likes it so far. thanks for all the advice

well thanks to both of you for the link lol. do you have a pic of red zebra cichlid? i have seen them in quite a few peoples sigs and i was wondering what they looked like.

hey i jus cought up to this thread.. nbeen kindof busy with school ands work. The tank looks great!!! whati s it currenlty stocked with

EDIT- sroy about hte typing im a bit tipsy we are having a few dirnks.

i like how austere and spartan it is. the cichlids will contrast beautifully with the black and white, and will certainly be shown off to their best and most colorful advantage. very unique--well done.

thanksyou everyone for the ositive feedback. and i have been in the same situation as you ashleynicole. i funnly understand the typing lol. i will be stocking it with mainly yellow labs and i was hoping demasoni but they are rather pricy. if i cant get demasoni i will be getting aceis and kenyi for the blue instead. i may also think about so other types but that all depends on what my lfs sells. oh and i was expecting stripes on the red zebra lol it kinda threw me off when it was just red/orange. thanks for the link.

ok i just got a cichlid from big als because i traded in my overgrown angle. they had him listen as a psuedo "yellow tail" amanti<--- i thikn that was the last word it is really hard to read. i cant seem to find a pic on the net of him but the guy assured me he would be ok in a larger group with my labs and demasoni. it is a really nice fish. it is the same as the demasoni but much darker in its colour more like a brownish purple and blakc lined body with a slightly yellow tinged tail. it is really nice looking and i like him alot. i will be buying the rest of my stock i a few weeks time. if anyone could find a pic or info on him that would be great. i have looked but came up with no results. thanks in advance

yep thats the guy. u are always right fish finatic is there anything i should know about him. he seems to be being picked on but i am pretty sure it isnt the demasoni i think it is actually the kenyi. but they are smaller than him so i am wondering if i should take the kenyi out so he can have peacy. i like the look of him more than the kenyi so i would rather sacrifice those two and get anothe rone of him. your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Kenyi's are known for their overaggressivness. As juvis they are fine, but adults can definatly wreck havoc on a peaceful African community. We are actually going to be trading our Kenyi's in for two Red Empress' next week. If they are showing aggression now then it is defiantely time to reconsider whether to keep them or not. I have heard stories of aquarists having tanks full of Africans and a single Kenyi killing over half the tank. Breeding times are especially difficult because they become VERY territorial.

well that makes sense. i will be bringing them back to the pet shop as soon as i can get there. i found they are very over active and appear to be stressing the other 2 fish i have in there. i researched them a bit and it also said they were very agressive. thanks for the help :)

They are pretty in coloration, but their aggressivness suprises me given their size. :D Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom