done!! 55 gallons of cichlid heaven. *pictures*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i am done ha ha ha!!! i am soo happy with the way the rocks came out. i used pure marble for the rocks and siliconed them all together. i used geo systems black sand and am running a penguin 350b filter and a 300 watt heater. i just bought 2 cichlid that were in a mixed tank but i am pretty sure they are kenyi. i only payed 4.99 and it was buy one get one free day so i got 2 :) i hope everyone else likes it as much as me. i am open to suggestions for how to improve it and even stocking ideas. i will be adjusting the sand build up in the front later on to make it more level but i know all the cichlids will arrange the sand the way they want so i am not to worried.

thanks i was concerned about the marble but it looks great :) i have 4 tanks in my room lol my parents are going to start making me pay the electricity and water bill lol. i will be putting a black backround on it soon and i think that will really help. thw marble will glow after i do that lol.

It's looking good. The rock structures look very nice. Are you planning on putting any fake plants in the tank? If so, a few bunches of tall plants in the back would look great, and you could hide the heater, input tube, and fill the gap on the left side. But I LOVE the rock structure on the left in the corner. Great work! Are you going to use a background?

That marble looks great, and the contrast with the black sand is very striking. I think the look of the tank will change someone as the tank gest established, since the white marble will probably stain from algae, etc. But I think that will make it look even more cool, actually. I would love to see it in about six months or so. Keep us posted!

i plan to use a black backround. i am going to add a peice to go between the left side and the middle and then build up on that. i was also planning on doing the same thing on the right side to hide the intake tube. as for the heater i was thinking a large plants in the corner to hide it and then some smaller ones near the middle and left side. and plant suggestions to go there. i would prefer fake becasue i do not have very much light in the tank (15 watt in each hood :( ) so not very much will grow in there. plus cichlids like to destroy plants. i am actually going to build a hood out of the same wood as the stand and put a 48" dual light strip in. this way i can have mixed lights. i want a light that will really highlight blue and yellow because those will be the 2 main colours. i was going to get http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01016250010101 those lights untill i make the new canopy. u think that they will be good? thanks in advance

very nice lookin tank nice job and i also plan to build a hood but my problem is a lighting kit. if you can find one could you imform me please :D ive had no luck finding any good ones :(

well j chillen since our other tanks looked soo much alike i thought i would make something completly different. i have waited almost a year to buy this tank and set it up and i have had it set up in my mind for more than a year lol. once i got the stuff it was easy. i was very lucky that my dad had 3 slabs of inch thick pure marble in his back yard lol. and i even got the sand for 40% off. and ironically it was only black sand that was onsale and that was the colour i wanted. i consider mself to be lucky. i mean i went to big als just to look at the tanks and the only complet kit that they had on sale was the 55 gallon and thats the only size i was gonna buy. if that isnt lucky then i dont know what is :)

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01016250010101 in case anyone goes right to the second page of this post here is the light that i was thinking of getting for my cichlids and i was curious if this would be any good. this is directed at nitrous---hagen is where i found my light and thay have a few balast kits for sale there as well i have the link for that to. here it is ... http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/sub_category_psubtype.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=105&PSUBCAT=10508 by the way how do you make your links small and only say like "lights" but go to the site. all i know how to do is cut and paste the link.

unfortunatly as much as i want to stock it i have to wait for the complete cycle. i put the old filter pads from my 10 and 20 gallon tank into my new filers behind the pads so the will culture alot faster and i put in a big als water treat meant with the live bacteria to speed it up as well. it is only a few days into the cycle and that is why i only put in 2 fish. and they are beyond happy. they chase each other acroos the whole tank and then back again. i think they are suprised at how much room the have lol. they get confused half way acroos becasue they didnt run into a glass wall. what other stocking would u suggest jrp1588?

thanks for the link nitrous but it doesnt work lol. i have actually been looking for a guide to doing it but havent found a good one yet so your link would be greatly appreciated.

well, the fish in my sig seem to be getting along pretty well with my kenyi's. I'm sort of a cichlid newbie myself, lol, but some acei's might be nice. Maybe some demasoni if you've got the cash. lol

Back
Top Bottom