Dramatic lip wrestling! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaxley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, I have two female Sajica Cichlids, had them around 2 years, today I noticed them spawning in a strange way, usually just fin slapping, now they are locking mouths:

The larger of the two now has a sore white nose, could this be a sign of bad things to come?

Yax

Attachments

• image-3622395191.jpg
    image-3622395191.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2966997511.jpg
    image-2966997511.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3820730759.jpg
    image-3820730759.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 81
Are there any males present? If not it sounds perfectly normal, it's not uncommon to have females pair without the presents of males then lay eggs this will be preceeded and followed up with testing the partner.

Last edited:
They are both females, they do seem to have hurt each other by doing it though...

The larger (below in the picture) lived with a male at one point, so could have learned it then?

Attachments

• image-4040666723.jpg
    image-4040666723.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 78
It's normal behavior for cichlids to test other fish to show dominance. It's nothing to concerned with, if it goes beyond liplocking, fin nipping, or chasing then you may have to seperate them.

Keep the water clean and the irritated spot from them liplocking will heal within a few days.

Last edited:
I have lots of Sajicas and other cryptoheros fish like Cutteri and HRP's, they are spunkly and pugnatious little fish with loads of personality. One of my favorite genus of new world cichlids.

Totally agree, they have great personality and beautiful colours! Not too aggressive for the community tank.

Attachments

• image-3828815387.jpg
    image-3828815387.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 63
That happens from time to time, They eventually stop its normal for that to happen. What i usually do is turn off the tank lights. I feel it
Makes it harder for then m to see eachother. Mayne thats
Just a stupid veiw of mine but with my fish turning off the lights usually stops them for a short while

Jacobsal91 said:
That happens from time to time, They eventually stop its normal for that to happen. What i usually do is turn off the tank lights. I feel it
Makes it harder for then m to see eachother. Mayne thats
Just a stupid veiw of mine but with my fish turning off the lights usually stops them for a short while

Not to say that solves the problem... But it slows them down a little for
My fish anyway. The problem will eventually solve itself once they test eachothers strength dominace and aggression

I had a male and female together and even had eggs at one point, but the male did begin to harass my other fish though so i replaced him.
I have 2 Cory's, 1 salt and pepper Syndontis and an amazon putter in there, and with the females there is good tank equilibrium!

Attachments

• image-4137562461.jpg
    image-4137562461.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom