Drift Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a big beautiful piece of driftwood that's been packed away for years since my savannah monitor died. I would like to use it in my cichlid tank if doing so won't cause health issues for my fish.
Is it ok to use in a cichlid tank? I've seen set-ups with drift wood but have also read negatives about its effect on ph levels. Also, how much soaking am I looking at in order to rid the wood of tannins? Thanks.

No bad effects really. It's not the wood that causes pH issues, its the tannins. Realisitically, if you have moderately hard water, you probably won't even see a drop in pH.

As far as soaking, only time will tell. Has it previously been in a tank? It may just need to soak long enough to sink. I would put it in a bucket if possible, or rinse out the bathtub really well and soak it in there for a week or so. I've soaked several pieces in the bathtub before that were too big for buckets.

mfdrookie516 said:
No bad effects really. It's not the wood that causes pH issues, its the tannins. Realisitically, if you have moderately hard water, you probably won't even see a drop in pH.

As far as soaking, only time will tell. Has it previously been in a tank? It may just need to soak long enough to sink. I would put it in a bucket if possible, or rinse out the bathtub really well and soak it in there for a week or so. I've soaked several pieces in the bathtub before that were too big for buckets.

Yeah, the bathtub is the only area big enough to soak this thing. It's been dry since I bought it so we'll see. I started soaking it in a plastic tub today but only half will fit. I'm going for the bathtub. Thanks rookie.

Question--I have seen lots of people mention soaking driftwood. I know why but have not seen anyone mention how you know when it's done. I have never done it so have no clue what it looks like.

Spurdy said:
Question--I have seen lots of people mention soaking driftwood. I know why but have not seen anyone mention how you know when it's done. I have never done it so have no clue what it looks like.

I imagine the water is clear instead of brown when you're finished soaking

Back
Top Bottom